MMO to clean motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read here that people use MMO to clean out their motor by putting it in the gas tank and/or the oil.

Seeing as normally after running some cleaner through the gas/oil you'd need to do an oil change, is this still valid for MMO?

Is MMO really this wonder solution?

And lastly, anyone know where I could get MMO in Australia?

MMO doesnt do anything except make you feel better about life, At least thats all it did for me.
01.gif

Most engines don't need any cleaning at all, if maintained properly. Choose any API SN-rated oil and change it at an appropriate interval, keep it indicating on the dipstick, and then forget about it altogether.

I have observed a visual difference in cleanliness using MMO. I have also had good results using Auto Rx, which I recommend. I have no idea where you would buy MMO in Australia, but Auto Rx can be purchased via the website.

I have personally never used it, but my dad uses it to top of his Silverado every now and then when the oil runs low. All I know is the lifters clacked before MMO, and after MMO.

I bought a truck that had been in storage for over 20 years.
It ran well enough but had a rough idle, burned a little oil, annd lacked torque off idle.

I tired a cleaning product, but it had no effect (other than lightening my wallet)
After about 18 months use with no improvement, I tried, as a last effort 500cc of MMO in the oil.
After about 200miles, I was in town, waiting at a traffic light, and I thought my engine had stalled. It had not! it was idling smooth for the first time!
Oil consumption is reduced to '0'
Low speed torque is fine.

I guess I had some sticky rings that became un-stuck.

I don't believe it a miracle cure in a bottle, but if you have a problem, it's proven safe, and it's cheap and it CAN help.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
MMO doesnt do anything except make you feel better about life, At least thats all it did for me.
01.gif

I did recently squirt some down the spark plug holes of the old Ford engine in my snowcat since it had not been run in awhile. But on any engine that runs well, why would you?

It not make me feel better or worse about life.

MMO was run out of Oz when the Aussies learnt it dropped the oil down a grade.

70 to 60 was ok but 40 to 30 crossed the line.

I think that the number of "correctly maintained" vehicles in the world is inversely proportional to the amount of "you don't need it if your vehicle is correctly maintained" comments on this site.

Use 20% MMO during an oil change. Run it for about 1000 miles and then drain and refill with oil.

MMO is a mild cleaner.

3 to 4 oz of MMO in the gas tank per 10 gallons of gasoline is what I use too at each time I fill the tank or both my wife's and my vehicles.

If you don't see any improvement then simply quit using it.

I have had good luck over many years using it in both vehicle and aircraft engines.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
I've read here that people use MMO to clean out their motor by putting it in the gas tank and/or the oil. Seeing as normally after running some cleaner through the gas/oil you'd need to do an oil change, is this still valid for MMO?

No, if you run it in the fuel, it has no effect on the oil

Is MMO really this wonder solution?

Yes

And lastly, anyone know where I could get MMO in Australia?

No idea. Start with auto parts suppliers. Or, farm supply stores. Or, send an email to [email protected] and ask them who distributes it downunder.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
MMO was run out of Oz when the Aussies learnt it dropped the oil down a grade. 70 to 60 was ok but 40 to 30 crossed the line.

Most unlikely.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Use 20% MMO during an oil change. Run it for about 1000 miles and then drain and refill with oil. MMO is a mild cleaner.

One possible use: MMO used as an engine cleaner - added to oil. If you change your oil regularly, your engine should probably not need cleaning.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
3 to 4 oz of MMO in the gas tank per 10 gallons of gasoline is what I use too at each time I fill the tank or both my wife's and my vehicles. If you don't see any improvement then simply quit using it. I have had good luck over many years using it in both vehicle and aircraft engines.

+1. Note that this responder has described using MMO in two distinctly different ways. The MMO folks suggest 1 quart per 1000 miles, mixed in fuel.

MMO has a following (as well as detractors) among small aircraft owners. Years ago, the US Air Force used it in the far east - not quite sure what for - possibly in light observation aircraft. It's popular for use in stationary engines. Several LPG/CNG conversion companies include inverse oilers in their conversions or kits.

dave5358 said:
One possible use: MMO used as an engine cleaner - added to oil. If you change your oil regularly, your engine should probably not need cleaning.

The key word is should. There are no guarantees in life. Should was a good choice of words!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shaman
I think that the number of "correctly maintained" vehicles in the world is inversely proportional to the amount of "you don't need it if your vehicle is correctly maintained" comments on this site.

+1

01.gif

MMO made me feel better and made my pocket lighter.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

MMO made me feel much better about life and kept my pocket heavier. Valve jobs are expensive.

MMO has probably paid for itself with better compression as well, but I've not bothered to run the numbers. With the current prices of gasoline, even a minor increase in performance (1% or 1/2 of 1%) would pay for the MMO, or almost any other additive.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

MMO made me feel much better about life and kept my pocket heavier. Valve jobs are expensive.

MMO has probably paid for itself with better compression as well, but I've not bothered to run the numbers. With the current prices of gasoline, even a minor increase in performance (1% or 1/2 of 1%) would pay for the MMO, or almost any other additive.

It made me feel better too, many times over in the past 4 decades. It made several of my friends feel better too. It freed up sticking lifters and fuel tank floats for a few people I know, including myself. It cleaned up quite a few dirty engines too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: dave5358

It made me feel better too, many times over in the past 4 decades. It made several of my friends feel better too. It freed up sticking lifters and fuel tank floats for a few people I know, including myself. It cleaned up quite a few dirty engines too.

Let's see - 1972. I guess I'm a 4-decader as well.

And in the 'feel better' department, there is no better way on the planet to start an automobile conversation than to pop the hood when you've got an inverse oiler installed. It will beat a turbo any day (I know, I've got both ;-}

There have been numerous discussions about MMO and Kreen here and it seems to me that the majority of guys who have used those products were positive about those products. I don't know how MMO can make somebody's wallet much lighter-it is a low cost product readily available at Wal-Mart in my area of the country. I have no idea if it is available in Australia or not. Maybe it has never been sold there.

One of the few detailed negative descriptions of MMO that I have seen here was a guy saying that an aircraft engine failed with MMO in it. But far too much MMO had been used. You can't run the engine just with MMO and no engine oil. In automobiles the percentage of MMO to oil should be approximately 20%/25% to 80%/75% engine oil. A person does have to follow directions just like any other product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back