moly level in SN oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLJ

Which of the synth. Api SN oils Mobil,Castrol,penzoil,Quaker state etc have the most moly?

Tough to beat PYB on the conventional side.

For synthetic, Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 have proven themselves with the newer trinuclear moly formulation.

As per mola's post PYB and ultra are using their trinuclear type of moly,and I'm going to assume so is Mobil.
I don't think there is much moly in the castrol lines of lubes. I know the gold bottle is using titanium as their primary friction modifier but there might be some moly in it.
I don't think there's much in the euro 0w-40 castrol nor the 0w-30 either.

I'm going to assume because Quaker state is a sopus product that they too are using the tri-nuclear type however that's only an assumption/speculation.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
As per mola's post PYB and ultra are using their trinuclear type of moly,and I'm going to assume so is Mobil.
I don't think there is much moly in the castrol lines of lubes. I know the gold bottle is using titanium as their primary friction modifier but there might be some moly in it.

I'm going to assume because Quaker state is a sopus product that they too are using the tri-nuclear type however that's only an assumption/speculation.

I doubt that PYB and QS are using Tri-nuclear moly. Based on the numbers, I would assume that it is traditional moly in colloidal suspension.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Tough to beat PYB on the conventional side.

For synthetic, Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 have proven themselves with the newer trinuclear moly formulation.

How do we know they have trinuclear moly? I would love to believe that statement but do we have any proof?

Originally Posted By: salv
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I doubt that PYB and QS are using Tri-nuclear moly. Based on the numbers, I would assume that it is traditional moly in colloidal suspension.

Does it have to be either/or? Is there any reason it can't be both?

I have never seen a synthetic oil with as much moly as pyb. Unless the synthetics use a different more concentrated version of the additive or something.

Mola says Sopus only uses trinuclear moly, believe him or not that is close as we are going to get to knowing here.

Go PYB and forget about it.

For the ones that have Moly, they are all about the same amount. Typically less than 90ppm and more than 70ppm.

I'd suggest going with Mobil Super Syn, Kendall GT-1, or Formula Shell in that order. They also have good doses of Boron. This is for the 5W-30 grade, and I'm assuming that the 5W-20 would be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back