help finding bigger oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baldwin B202 and B7042 diameter is about 3.7" and longer then 5". The OEM filter of Kia Optima is much smaller in diameter and much shorter. You need to look at Kia Optima filter mounting and location to see if that much larger size will fit.

Either Baldwin B202 or B7042 will fit Honda S2000 but not all other Hondas.

well I have no idea about the diameter aspect of it, but i know i have some room for extra length, i'm trying to dig deeper into all this, but honestly the 2006 kia optima isn't one of those cars that has a billion results on google haha

I just ordered an Oil Filter Relocation Kit. I figure this way my oil changes will be easier and since i will have tubes running from spot to spot, the extra oil has a good place to sit.
Thanks for all of the help guys, if you have anything else don't be afraid to post.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
I just ordered an Oil Filter Relocation Kit. I figure this way my oil changes will be easier and since i will have tubes running from spot to spot, the extra oil has a good place to sit.
Thanks for all of the help guys, if you have anything else don't be afraid to post.

Install tee's with 1/4 turn ball valves, plugged, at all low points.
thumbsup2.gif

I figure this way my oil changes will be easier and since i will have tubes running from spot to spot, the extra oil has a good place to sit.

Instead of letting the oil "set" in the hoses at each OCI, install a "tee" inline at the lowest point to drain the oil so it won't just "sit" there.
Here are several types to choose from, if you are using rubber hose. Just cut them in and hose clamp them. Some you can screw on a 1/4 turn ball valve.

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/2410/463012.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/3460/140504214.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/5610/brasspushinteefitting11.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img442/2900/imagescapc2idk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img211/1779/imagesca5k54ie.jpg

I'd use the OEM oil filter and put no more than 4.5 quarts. if you want to, you could use walmart's supertech syn oil, not much more than dyno oil. I've used it for years.

by no stretch of my imagination am i a oil filter expert, but. after reading a ton of info on this site about oil filters. ill say.. the number truly BAD filters can be held in one hand. am i wrong? your ideas are fine with me.

I know this thread is dead, but just wanted to update everyone in the fact that I never did get an oil filter relocation kit because the one I ordered was out of stock and they no longer make it so I have just been running the 5 quarts and I haven't seen any issues.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Why are you intentionally running a half quart over on a regular basis?

I run 1.5 extra quarts in mine. An oil fill is more durable with more oil.

A half quart won't hurt a thing in most vehicles. A quart and half might, I'd be checking that dipstick for bubbles!

I know Wix 51182 or 51324 is the equivalent of the B202. I just ordered 3 Wixs for my wife's 99 Ody. Not sure why they run such a small filter on a large engine.

Last edited:
Maybe it wasn't your intention to imply they are equivalent, but that large filter's gasket is not a match/replacement for the smaller filter. Maybe it is for the 51324, I don't know, since your picture has a 51334 in it (fourth digit difference 2 versus 3).

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Maybe it wasn't your intention to imply they are equivalent, but that large filter's gasket is not a match/replacement for the smaller filter. Maybe it is for the 51324, I don't know, since your picture has a 51334 in it (fourth digit difference 2 versus 3).

If the filter's rubber gasket fully makes contact with the seat on the engine, then there shouldn't be any worries about it sealing. Most filter bases on the engine block have some area to take a range of filter gasket diameters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: HangFire

If the filter's rubber gasket fully makes contact with the seat on the engine, then there shouldn't be any worries about it sealing. Most filter bases on the engine block have some area to take a range of filter gasket diameters.

This is the case in this situation. Others may vary. I know B202 and B7042 work on s2000 engines.

Just now seeing this post! Sorry I didn't see it sooner. So the 51182 is possibly a larger compatible replacement? does the orange behind the holes change anything compared to the oem on the right?

does the orange behind the holes change anything compared to the oem on the right?

It has a silicone ADBV ... the OEM with the black ADBV is nitrile rubber. Silicone is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back