Amsoil Ea15K13 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
I think it's kinda interesting that someone running ST Dino for 15k gets applause but running a boutique synthetic oil for 26k gets such a variety of flak and praise. The vehicle was sitting at stop lights all day every day. Waiting on blackstone so I can see whether or not it performed to the end or not.

Same engine?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I think it's kinda interesting that someone running ST Dino for 15k gets applause but running a boutique synthetic oil for 26k gets such a variety of flak and praise. The vehicle was sitting at stop lights all day every day. Waiting on blackstone so I can see whether or not it performed to the end or not.

Same engine?

That's what I get for using a phone. It WAS NOT sitting at lights all day. The engine in the van never developed any leaks, had very little consumption, no knocking, ticking, tapping, or abnormal sounds.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not good for that many miles-that's my nightmare scenario for an extended OCI, doing more harm than good. No substitute for extending gradually, IMHO.

No substitute for regular oil changes...

Never really understood the how long can I go without changing the oil... mindset. I will risk a $$$ engine to maybe save a few bucks, but I will need to spend some cash on a test to make sure everything is still OK...!

Jeez, just change the oil and KNOW! the oil is good.

Last edited:
My ' 07 Honda Odyssey, 3.5 liter V6, holds 4.3 liters ( 4.5 ish quarts) of oil... I remember when I changed oil for the first time thinking, wow, seems like a pretty small sump, for a large "car..."

Maybe TOO small for that kind of interval...?

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Never really understood the how long can I go without changing the oil... mindset. I will risk a $$$ engine to maybe save a few bucks, but I will need to spend some cash on a test to make sure everything is still OK...!

People who run the oil for 10,000 miles have never taken an engine apart.

They are clueless people who have never seen a sludged up engine at a salvage yard.

^^^ I think it would be pretty safe to run some top tier full synthetic to 10K miles if the driving conditions weren't too severe. 10K would be about the limit I'd go to with a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

They are clueless people who have never seen sludged up engines at a salvage yard.

EXACTLY!

Cheap insurance. EXPENSIVE engine... owners choice...!

If an oil change was, say, a $ 1000 ... then sure, lets push the OCI out...

My last oil change, using a brand name synthetic (bought on SALE...) and an oem filter was $ 40 bucks...and thats in Canada...where everything costs more... I looked up a re-man engine... $ 4800.00 + install.

No brainer... CHANGE the oil..!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ I think it would be pretty safe to run some top tier full synthetic to 10K miles if the driving conditions weren't too severe. 10K would be about the limit I'd go to with a full synthetic.

5K would be my limit. I haven't even made it to 3K yet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

They are clueless people who have never seen sludged up engines at a salvage yard.

EXACTLY!

Cheap insurance. EXPENSIVE engine... owners choice...!

If an oil change was, say, a $ 1000 ... then sure, lets push the OCI out...

My last oil change, using a brand name synthetic (bought on SALE...) and an oem filter was $ 40 bucks...and thats in Canada...where everything costs more... I looked up a re-man engine... $ 4800.00 + install.

No brainer... CHANGE the oil..!

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Running out an OCI a little long is OK AS LONG AS EVERYTHING ELSE IS OK. 26K is way too long without a lot of monitoring and UOA's plus filter changes.

A longer-than-factory OCI means you need to check your oil often for level, water intrusion, gas smell, soot thickening and/or sudden color change.

Really everyone should be doing this anyway, but if you have a short OCI you can get away with not bothering to check, since you're going to see the oil's condition soon enough on the next change. In essence you are changing your oil often just to look at it. That is what a dipstick is for.

Short OCI's are fully justifiable on engines with known issues like coolant or gas contamination or sludging, antique engines with no PCV, also severe service like towing, plowing or racing, excessive heat climates, and short-tripping. Another would be a low-usage vehicle, I change oil once per year no matter what the mileage.

Otherwise short OCI's are a feel-good waste of time and money, but at least the oil gets recycled, so it's hard to call it a waste of natural resources.

Note, I am not a fan of really long (>10K) OCI's on engines that are not made for it (like a Caddy or Vette with their huge oil capacity and filtration). I don't see the point of a paying for an UOA to run a typical engine past 10K miles since the UOA cost is similar to that of a oil change.

My personal comfort level for a good healthy modern engine is: MFG OCI in warranty, 6K-8K on synthetic for standard oil capacity engines out of warranty. If I really felt a need for a 3-4K OCI, I would also strongly consider an engine rebuild or replacement, because something is wrong that it needs new oil so often.

(I get beat up on by the short-OCI guys for whatever, and the long-OCI guys for wasting synthetic with sub-10K changes. I figure as long as the clamor is about equal on both extremes, I'm OK!)

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Running out an OCI a little long is OK AS LONG AS EVERYTHING ELSE IS OK. 26K is way too long without a lot of monitoring and UOA's plus filter changes.

A longer-than-factory OCI means you need to check your oil often for level, water intrusion, gas smell, soot thickening and/or sudden color change.

Really everyone should be doing this anyway, but if you have a short OCI you can get away with not bothering to check, since you're going to see the oil's condition soon enough on the next change. In essence you are changing your oil often just to look at it. That is what a dipstick is for.

Short OCI's are fully justifiable on engines with known issues like coolant or gas contamination or sludging, antique engines with no PCV, also severe service like towing, plowing or racing, excessive heat climates, and short-tripping. Another would be a low-usage vehicle, I change oil once per year no matter what the mileage.

Otherwise short OCI's are a feel-good waste of time and money, but at least the oil gets recycled, so it's hard to call it a waste of natural resources.

Note, I am not a fan of really long (>10K) OCI's on engines that are not made for it (like a Caddy or Vette with their huge oil capacity and filtration). I don't see the point of a paying for an UOA to run a typical engine past 10K miles since the UOA cost is similar to that of a oil change.

My personal comfort level for a good healthy modern engine is: MFG OCI in warranty, 6K-8K on synthetic for standard oil capacity engines out of warranty. If I really felt a need for a 3-4K OCI, I would also strongly consider an engine rebuild or replacement, because something is wrong that it needs new oil so often.

(I get beat up on by the short-OCI guys for whatever, and the long-OCI guys for wasting synthetic with sub-10K changes. I figure as long as the clamor is about equal on both extremes, I'm OK!)

Yes. Thank you for getting it! Rather than turning this into an Amsoil bash.

This HONDA non VCM engine is good for 15K mile MAXIMUM OCI (hence the clue 15K on the filter!!). The VCM engine? Honda is now sending out notices on this sludge engine. Sorry this is NOT a 25K mile OCI engine.

Pablo - the OP said he used Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 and ran it out to 26K with some new oil top offs along the way. Is that something that Amsoil would agree is OK to do with this oil?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Pablo - the OP said he used Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 and ran it out to 26K with some new oil top offs along the way. Is that something that Amsoil would agree is OK to do with this oil?

With this oil in some engines and some filters up to 25K miles.

In this engine with this filter, up to 15K miles.

So no, OP was on his own.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yes. Thank you for getting it! Rather than turning this into an Amsoil bash.

This HONDA non VCM engine is good for 15K mile MAXIMUM OCI (hence the clue 15K on the filter!!). The VCM engine? Honda is now sending out notices on this sludge engine. Sorry this is NOT a 25K mile OCI engine.

You're welcome. I may not always be right, but I try hard to "get it". I was really braced for impact when I hit "send" on that one!

Do you happen to have a a TSB or tech note date for those Honda notices?

I think it's kinda interesting that someone running ST Dino for 15k gets applause but running a boutique synthetic oil for 26k gets such a variety of flak and praise.

I don't think you should compare the work dnewton is doing to what you've done to your mom's van. Not even in the same ballpark.

Oh and Pablo, is it OK if I call you a shill?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I think it's kinda interesting that someone running ST Dino for 15k gets applause but running a boutique synthetic oil for 26k gets such a variety of flak and praise.

I don't think you should compare the work dnewton is doing to what you've done to your mom's van. Not even in the same ballpark.

Oh and Pablo, is it OK if I call you a shill?
lol.gif

Sure. Glad I could help out!

Interesting read.

I take it we are still waiting on the UOA results? Looking forward to seeing them.

Each engine/oil combination is different, as are manufacturer's recommendations. Without a UOA you can't be sure of the condition of the oil.

IMO this went way too far for the filter, but the oil's condition remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back