Coolant for a neglected '00 Silverado 5.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 V8, 150K miles. I got a great deal on the truck used, and am pretty sure the DPO didn't take much care of it. The heater core keeps plugging up with orange goo, but will easily clear with a core backflush. The engine runs fine, no overheating or other issues that I know of.

I'm going to do a Citric Acid flush to get whatever is currently in there out, but was wondering about what to refill it with. From what I read, Dex-cool likes to eat gaskets, so what's the recommended replacement?

Any Dex-Cool approved coolant you can buy today is fine. I always use the Prestone DexCool from walmart. Any brand AMAM coolant will be fine for you in that truck however.

Zerex dex cool after a citric acid flush. Just do it a few times, its pretty cheap. In TX in a few months you can surely run mainly water with just a little AF for a bit to help make the continuous flushing even cheaper. Just keep processing water through that thing for a bit...

I'd just run water for a bit and keep flushing it out until the water stayed clean. Than refill with dexcool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back