Purepro L4612 cut open with extras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this car last week 2006 kia rio 1.6l 62k knowing the engine was locked up and dealer had denied the warranty claim...got it cheap..gonna throw a used engine in it and give it to stepson for 1st beater car or sell it and make a few $$$..i knew the previous owner..the oil was changed regularly at an independent lube shop..no idea of kind of oil or how often...filter has metal shavings in media(i cut it up later) and in bottom of can...

Last edited:
I recall a Kia radio ad from 2003 and 2004..."buy one Kia Rio get another for $1", and all the media attention to the engine failures.

Even so, that engine looks like it had very few oil changes in its life. I'd be interested to hear how often it was changed.

Last edited:
that looks nasty. at least you got the car at a good price and can drop in another motor. thanks for the pics. wonder how long the ocis were ?

Last edited:
That's an ugly valvetrain, says to me a neglected engine at least some point along the way. A shame. As for filter PurePro, seeing coil retainer spring makes think some China sourced jobber/quik lube filter using Puro numbering system, but that's not a factor with valvetrain.

Not sure what changed 'regularly' means, but unless this engine has some manufacturer defect(sludger), the oci's were too far apart for the use it recieved or oil used.

Thanks for the pics, and good luck with your project.

Filter looks way better than the engine, yuck! I wouldn't warrant an engine that obviously neglected either.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Bought this car last week 2006 kia rio 1.6l 62k knowing the engine was locked up and dealer had denied the warranty claim.

The engine was probably still under the 10 yr/100K warranty, but obviously when the dealership saw how sludged up it was they figured the oil changes had been neglected and that killed the warranty. Probably rightly so.

Those pix and these statements are far apart in my mind.
Quote:
....i knew the previous owner..the oil was changed regularly at an independent lube shop..no idea of kind of oil or how often..

How do you define "regular" here? Most of us BITOGers would equate "regular" with at LEAST 5k miles or less for the OCI. Perhaps even more frequent. But then you state you don't know how often even though you know the PO and bought the vehicle???

Is is possible that the "independent shop" charged for OCIs, but didn't perform them?

If I paid for a good warranty, and paid for good service, and ended up with this result, I'd be more than miffed. Some entity would be at the other end of a lawsuit if this were my vehicle.

Last edited:
Not sure the whole exact story just what i was told lol...and didnt wanna press to hard and give anyone any ideas...i was offered the car cheap and said i would take it before they changed there mind lol....they new (used) engine showed up today...ebayed it from a national oem "junkyard". LKQ... ebay listing said 86k...it will get installed this weekend...here is the filter off of it...

Last edited:
It's nice that you got the car for a good price. If the original owner did regular oil changes, the valve train sure doesn't look like it. Hope the original owner got what he or she paid for from the oil change shop. If there were regular changes, and the owner had proof, why did Kia deny the warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back