M1 5W30 ESP, 3,300mi, VW CC 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Here is UOA on Low-SAPS M1 5W30 ESP.
What is your take on this?

z956.jpg

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Very good report. Oil can go twice the OCI of 3,300 miles.

It seems it could hit 5K with no problems. I wanted first to see how it behaves at 3K considering it is Low-SAPS oil.
I have new fill right now in CC, and my wife's Tiguan is at 2,300miles. Will do UOA on both cars at 5K and we could have pretty good indication how this Low-SAPS oil behaves in DI turbo charges engine.
Reason why I went with Low-SAPS is carbon deposit build up on valves.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Cant go wrong with M1 for such short intervals (7500Mi or less)

Yeah but this is Low-SAPS oil, and that is why I did 3,3K, to see how TBN holds.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Yeah but this is Low-SAPS oil, and that is why I did 3,3K, to see how TBN holds.

I also did a short uoa of 3k on pu to confirm a possible coolant leak. Its nice to have an idea of whats going on in your engine before you do a longer oci and sort of forget about it

I also did a short uoa of 3k on pu to confirm a possible coolant leak. Its nice to have an idea of whats going on in your engine before you do a longer oci and sort of forget about it

Yeah, I have two more kits in garage.
I will do UOA on 5K on my CC, and on my wife's Tiguan just as control variable to see how it performs in same engine but in other car.
If all that goes well, I am done with testing.

It seems it could hit 5K with no problems. I wanted first to see how it behaves at 3K considering it is Low-SAPS oil.

Why didn't you just draw a sample without changing the oil at 3K?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Why didn't you just draw a sample without changing the oil at 3K?

Since I am already doing "dirty" work, I just changed oil (well on 2.0TSI is not that dirty).
Kind of busy, so was thinking that is it turns out bad, I do not have to change oil again immediately after.

What I don't understand is why the oil is so thick? I mean, it's a VERY THICK 5w30.

What oil viscosity was used last time?

Originally Posted By: Artem
What I don't understand is why the oil is so thick? I mean, it's a VERY THICK 5w30.

It was designed to be a very thick 5w-30 in order to have HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP so that it could meet some of the specs that it carries (ACEA C2, C3, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, etc.) It's basically like GC, but a low-SAPS version of it.

Originally Posted By: Artem

What oil viscosity was used last time?

QP already gave you an answer.
Pretty much it is European 5W30. 95% of European cars go with ACEA A3,B3,B4, C2, C3 requirement.
Because of requirement of minimum HTHS of 3.5, they are thicker. All European cars like thicker oils.

It's an excellent oil - I'm running it in my Envoy and noticed quite a few improvements. Being a low SAPS oil, I do a simple drain and refill when the OLM hits 50% and change it with the filter (WIX XP) when it gets to about 1-2%. Maybe draining it at the 50% mark is overkill (engine runs on Euro V gas), but whatever floats one's boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back