UOA Mobil1 ESP 5W30 3,300mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, what do you think?
UOA was done at 3,300 miles, no added oil. 80% of HWY driving, very hard.
z956.jpg

I wouldn't invest that much money into oil for only 3,300 miles. But it is good you know this based on the UOA. I would definitely take it to the 5.5k like they recommend. Cheers!

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I wouldn't invest that much money into oil for only 3,300 miles. But it is good you know this based on the UOA. I would definitely take it to the 5.5k like they recommend. Cheers!

I wanted first to see how Low-SAPS behaves at 3K, then go from there.

I'm not sure why you made two OPs of this, but it doesn't look all that great for 3300 miles.
Look at TAN vs TBN and also iron.
After only 3300 miles?
Why do you want to use a low SAPS oil?
Why not just use what VW recommends?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm not sure why you made two OPs of this, but it doesn't look all that great for 3300 miles.
Look at TAN vs TBN and also iron.
After only 3300 miles?
Why do you want to use a low SAPS oil?
Why not just use what VW recommends?

Because of carbon deposits on valves.
It is still VW504.00/507.00 approved. It has great flash point, good pour point.
My only concern was TBN retention. I am not sure how much TBN retention is influenced by the fact that different oil was in the engine before.

Must have been a very hard 3300mi. The factory recommended OCI is 10K mi/15K km. If M1 ESP is struggling I'd be looking to try another VW 504/507 spec'd oil for sure.

Does this oil have significant Grp V content?
If so, then the high TAN is of no matter.
Otherwise, it is of some concern after so little use.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Nothing too alarming about the TAN vs TBN ratio here.

Depends on whom you ask.

Still, the report looks fine otherwise. 5K miles should be easily doable in his case.

Originally Posted By: SXE10
Must have been a very hard 3300mi. The factory recommended OCI is 10K mi/15K km. If M1 ESP is struggling I'd be looking to try another VW 504/507 spec'd oil for sure.

Any low SAPS oil will be struggling here over a long OCI, because we don't have ultra low sulfur gasoline.

Originally Posted By: SXE10
Recommended OCI is 10K mi but using High-SAPS oil like Mobil1 0W40 (which i think cannot hold TBN for 10k mi based on my previous UOA, look first column from the right).
First column from the right is M1 0W40 SN (High-SAPS), left column is M1 5W30 ESP.

Does this oil have significant Grp V content?
If so, then the high TAN is of no matter.
Otherwise, it is of some concern after so little use.

On the question about Grp V:
Considering flash point and pour point, I would say there is considerable amount of Ester, but not predominant amount.

I asked because high ester oils may show high TAN without its being of any concern, or at least that's what I've read here.

I asked because high ester oils may show high TAN without its being of any concern, or at least that's what I've read here.

Yeah, as I said, based on pds, this oil shows much higher flash point then other VW504.00/507.00 oils, as well as lower pour point (-45c) then other similar oils.
EDIT:
Here is VOA sample:
Mobil1 5W30 ESP VOA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back