Pressure washer killing battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 13 horse pressure washer with an electric start. The battery normally only lasts 2 months or so after being installed before being completly drained. What could be causing this? I suppose I could disconnect the battery after each use, but its a huge hassle. I wouldnt mind pull starting it each time either, but a charged battery is needed to run the water heater.

And dont worry, I just changed the oil. Factory fill out, M1 10w30 in. Its what Dad wanted.. I personally wanted to try T5 or T6.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is it charging the battery?

As far as I know. I installed the battery last Jan and it has sat since. If it is used bi weekly in the summer, it keeps up quite well.

Lead acid batteries do discharge themselves eventually. A couple of months for a small SLA is not unusual. Might need to invest in a small float charger to keep it up.

Does the equipment have a charging system? Is it functioning?

A Battery Minder 1500 should help either way. I keep my bike on one over the winter.

Dirty battery tops make them discharge faster, but they discharge over time.

If you don't run your machine enough to charge from the start you just did plus the drain from normal discharge, the battery will just get lower and lower.

Sounds like you just need to plug it up to a little battery tender.

Is the battery about the size of one from a lawn tractor?

The charging systems of engines using a coil internal to the engine (vs an external alternator) are not very sophisticated. And that is what I assume it is. Have you checked the battery voltage with engine off and running, it should be about 1V higher when running.

Its possible its discharging the battery when not running. You would need to insert a amp meter inline with battery when the engine is off.

I agree a float charger left on it when not in use is a good idea. Not a plain trickle charger. Battery-Minder makes some good ones.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The charging systems of engines using a coil internal to the engine (vs an external alternator) are not very sophisticated. And that is what I assume it is. Have you checked the battery voltage with engine off and running, it should be about 1V higher when running.

Its possible its discharging the battery when not running. You would need to insert a amp meter inline with battery when the engine is off.

I agree a float charger left on it when not in use is a good idea. Not a plain trickle charger. Battery-Minder makes some good ones.

It has car battery. About 600 CCA? Maybe a marine battery would be better?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

You need to find of charging system if working and also if the battery is being discharged by being connected to the engine.

You need to find of charging system if working and also if the battery is being discharged by being connected to the engine.

Ill give that a try. Would a marine battery be better for this application?

Marine batteries come in two flavors, a starting battery and a house battery. First one is a normal battery like in a car and the second a deep cycle battery.

The only advantage to a deep cycle is that it can take being discharged often a lot better than a normal starting battery can.

Figure out what is going on, no need to change to a different battery.

you need to determine if its the battery or a drain from the pressure washer.

if its the battery, use a maintainer or replace.

if its the pressure washer, wire up a disconnect.

there are many styles

image_12541.jpg

What is this water heater you speak of? That would guzzle amps like crazy. Not sure how the engine could even keep up, electrically. Though I could see using its waste heat.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What is this water heater you speak of? That would guzzle amps like crazy. Not sure how the engine could even keep up, electrically. Though I could see using its waste heat.

Its probably got a diesel/kero water heater that is fired by an electrically operated oil gun.

And dont worry, I just changed the oil. Factory fill out, M1 10w30 in. Its what Dad wanted.. I personally wanted to try T5 or T6.
grin.gif

Don't forget the water pump itself needs an occasional oil change, most take 30W non-detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back