Amsoil compressor oil. Bad fail! (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: dave123

I will ask again how long do you need to shake in snot from bottom of bottle it has taken me up to 30min is this SOP for this product and what is it doing in the bottom of my crankcase.

If you use the product fresh within the first 2-3 years there is no need to shake the bottle. If you have run your compressor once every couple years there is nothing to worry about, because there is nothing settling "in the bottom of your crankcase"

The bottles are sometimes 1-2 years old and settle every year and new bottle bought the next year will have settled to a paste have used this product for over ten years and go through the sameting every year. Can you tell me how to read MFG date on bottle?

Last edited:
I have advised the OP to contact Amsoil (not knowing where/who he bought it from.) His batch was made in early 2010. He will be urged to return the compressor oil to Amsoil.

Amsoil does consider it a cosmetic issue and told me the effect is initiated by exposure to UV (sun mostly) in the clear bottle. The product is no longer wish sold in clear bottles.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Is this moly that has settled out??

Oldtommy

If it is an ashless formulation it can't be moly.

What settled out is most likely the rust and corrosion inhibiting agent.

The only other component in compressor oils is the phosphorus-sulfur anti-wear chems and they are in low levels like 250 ppm.

Increasing the dispersant level usually clears this up.

If I see something like this in a longterm stored lubricant product, I warm it up to about 85F or higher and then shake it before using.

This situation does not reduce the effectiveness of the product, after warming and agitating, of course.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Oldtommy

The only other component in compressor oils is the phosphorus-sulfur anti-wear chems and they are in low levels like 250 ppm.

If I see something like this in a longterm stored lubricant product, I warm it up to about 85F or higher and then shake it before using.

This situation does not reduce the effectiveness of the product, after warming and agitating, of course.

This is very good info can we assume that it is not just a cosmetic issue.

Quote:

I should add that it also contains an emulsifier, and anti-oxidant, and a small amount of VII, but the main component is the phosphorus-sulfur anti-wear agent.

Oldtommy

I was hoping I'd come across this reply...

IIRC - Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though - Amsoil still uses a high % of PAO in their lubes. IIRC as well, PAOs have a lower solubility than hydrocarbons. So they are probably always pushing the limit on their solubility.

The color change is indicative of antioxidants becoming activated by the UV light. Nothing to really worry about - lots of formulates lubes in clear containers will do this.

I agree on heating it up a bit then shaking it to remix the additives. Once re-mixed - that oil should be good to go.

I don't know about the UV thing since all my additives come in metal containers.

I have some old bottles of my full synthetic gear lube, 10W30, 5W30, and 0W30 engine oil in clear bottles I made back in 2004 and it had set out in my Dad's shed in hot and cold temps since that time, (10 years). [My dad recently passed away so I had to clean out his sheds].

I have not seen any additive drop out or settling in any of these lubes.

I've seen fallout happen too if the lube wasn't heated hot enough when blending - the solid additives didn't fully dissolve.

MolaKule - Make a quick blend w/ a clear base and some antioxidant, put it in a clear container, then put it in a sunny window.
smile.gif

I had a mild version of this in some compressor oil I picked up recently. I put the bottle in a pot of water and popped it on the stove. Just got the water to a good simmer and pulled out the bottle to give it a shake. Everything appeared to re-dissolve and there was no residue left. The oil was probably in the high 30s (c) at most, but the extra heat just sucked it right back up.

Then if its not used for a while that might as well happen again, this time inside of the equipment, which may or may not cause some problems.

Originally Posted By: Datsyuk
Then if its not used for a while that might as well happen again, this time inside of the equipment, which may or may not cause some problems.

Heat and Turbulence will re-mix it.

I don't know about the UV thing since all my additives come in metal containers.

I have some old bottles of my full synthetic gear lube, 10W30, 5W30, and 0W30 engine oil in clear bottles I made back in 2004 and it had set out in my Dad's shed in hot and cold temps since that time, (10 years). [My dad recently passed away so I had to clean out his sheds].

I have not seen any additive drop out or settling in any of these lubes.
So UV light does this and we're going to solve the problem with an opaque bottle (so you can't see it). How many folks store their stuff outside in direct sunlight?

We use the exact product in all our Cat pumps. It is excellent and results in nearly infinite life.

I have some that is at least two years old and it has never done this. I cannot see any problem here.

Heat it, shake it, and use it with confidence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back