Coolant for an old iron V8 with an alum radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
No i wouldn't feel comfortable with that statement and 2eha could be a concern where unknown plastics and gasket materials are used.

Within the business "G-05" and "G-48" are often used as shorthand for similar formulae.

G-05 does not contain 2eha. G-48 does.

I am unaware of any actual data supporting the conclusion that 2eha creates significant issues in the G-48 formulation which, unlike DexCool, contains silicate. The primary problems reported with DexCool have been GM vehicles which use plastics and elastomers that GM apparently did not actually test for compatibility prior to rolling DexCool out.

I have access to proprietary data involving the use of G-05 and G-48 in mixed fleets (American, European, Asian) over a number of years with no coolant relate problems.

Your missing the point. Coolguard II is not G48 or a G48 clone according to John Deere.
How can it be if it has no 2eha.

This from John Deere, It cant be any clearer.

Originally Posted By: John Deere
we do not use 2-EHA in or formulation of either the former Cool-Gard or the current Cool-Gard II. The OAT used in Cool-Gard and now in Cool-Gard II, along with the two additional OAT's in Cool-Gard II, are unique and proprietary to Deere, and are not used by anyone else. That makes Cool-Gard II a truly unique and one-of-a-kind formulation."

I put this in every old iron, mixed iron/aluminum and all aluminum engine with copper and aluminum heater cores and radiators alike with no issues after 6 years.
Its still clean as the day i put it in.

2eha is no problem with engines designed for Dexcool but in older engines i wouldn't want this plasticizer in the coolant.

Claiming that Coolguard I is GO5 may be close but that Colguard II is G48 and not as safe in an older engine is patently false.
Quote:
The two John Deere coolants are G-05 and G-48 respectively.

Quote:
G-05 is the safer of the two for a retrofit to a vehicle originally using something else.

Both Coolguard formulas are both equally safe. I do agree that putting G05 in and older engine is probably safer than G48 but that has nothing to to with Coolguard or Coolguard II.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Maybe a stupid question but is the Deere coolant compatible with old fashion green coolant? I may do a drain and fill and not a full flush. Thanks guys.

I would just do a complete flush regardless if changing coolant type, you never know how the chemistries are going to react to one another.

Being a 6 year coolant its not a bad thing, you could probably do a drain and fill every 3 or 4 years to maintain it without ever having flushing again.

I do yearly radiator drain and fills on my Jag XJS V12 and was just wondering if JD coolant would cause any issues with old fashion green coolant. I really do not want to do full flushes every year and would prefer to just use old Green coolant but I'm concerned it may become harder to find. These V12's seem to do better with yearly drain and fills...

I think I'll just keep doing a drain and fill every fall with old fashion green coolant and possibly throw in a bottle of Redline Water Wetter... I'll do a full flush and go with something else when and if they stop selling plain jane green coolant. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the info - I went with Zerex G-05 as it's readily available locally at a decent price.

After the Citrus Acid wash and with the new water pump, the temps are rock-solid at 180* where the t-stat is rated.

I thought about it and will do a complete flush with either Zerex G-05 or JD Cool-Gard II. I just have to figure out which one I want to use.

It is going in an original 1990 Jaguar XJS(32K miles) that currently runs cool with zero issues. LOL. It does have the original radiator which I believe is copper. Which one do you guys think would work better in this car? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Your missing the point. Coolguard II is not G48 or a G48 clone according to John Deere.
How can it be if it has no 2eha.

This from John Deere, It cant be any clearer.

Originally Posted By: John Deere
we do not use 2-EHA in or formulation of either the former Cool-Gard or the current Cool-Gard II. The OAT used in Cool-Gard and now in Cool-Gard II, along with the two additional OAT's in Cool-Gard II, are unique and proprietary to Deere, and are not used by anyone else. That makes Cool-Gard II a truly unique and one-of-a-kind formulation."

I put this in every old iron, mixed iron/aluminum and all aluminum engine with copper and aluminum heater cores and radiators alike with no issues after 6 years.
Its still clean as the day i put it in.

2eha is no problem with engines designed for Dexcool but in older engines i wouldn't want this plasticizer in the coolant.

Claiming that Coolguard I is GO5 may be close but that Colguard II is G48 and not as safe in an older engine is patently false.
Quote:
The two John Deere coolants are G-05 and G-48 respectively.

Quote:
G-05 is the safer of the two for a retrofit to a vehicle originally using something else.

Both Coolguard formulas are both equally safe. I do agree that putting G05 in and older engine is probably safer than G48 but that has nothing to to with Coolguard or Coolguard II.

X2.

Just my own personal experience here on one vehicle, but what I have found is that Coolgard II can be used safely in a G-05 system, and even mixed with G-05 with no ill effects.

I have been using G-05 and Coolgard II in my Ranger's cooling system for 5+ years now. I can't remember exactly when I first bought Coolgard II for it, but it was around 2009 or 2010. I have never bought the first version of Coolgard...it had been superseded by Coolgard II by the time I first bought it.

I have only ever done drain & fills on the radiator, no total flushes ever done. I have replaced two cooling system components in the life of the truck...one heater hose with a common failure point for these trucks, and the t-stat/gasket/water neck, another common leak point. Neither had anything to do with the coolant...they are simply known leak points on 3.0 Rangers. The heater hose failed at 11 years/146K miles. The t-stat had a minor leak from 70K with paper gaskets, and seems to finally be solved with a Felpro PermaDry silicone gasket in a plastic frame. Either way, not coolant related. The first t-stat gasket leak was on the original fill of G-05, before Coolgard II had ever been put in the system.

When I have had the t-stat off to replace the paper gaskets, the inside of the intake manifold has always been spotlessly clean. Like eat off it clean. The water pump is original at 151K miles. The cooling system is totally up to par no matter the outside temp. The temp sender has been occasionally erratic lately, but that is almost certainly an old age failure and again, not related to coolant. I'll know for sure when I pull it for replacement, but given the condition of the intake manifold, I don't expect to find any buildup. The hoses have never actually broken down...the leak on the heater hose was at a plastic t that cracks when it gets old and brittle and must be replaced as a whole assembly.

Temp has always been steady, and no leaks from the non-paper gaskets in the system. Reservoir is clean and clear.

I would guess that the coolant mix in my truck is around 2/3rds G-05 and 1/3rd Coolgard II currently. It is among the cleanest cooling systems I have seen, it has just had common leaks for this model/engine, and minor ones at that. No problems related to the ability of the coolant to do its job cooling/preventing freezing/providing protection or gunk buildup in the system.

I would think if G-05 and CoolgardII could not be mixed together, I would have seen much worse things going on. In my experience, they are totally compatible and safe to mix.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I thought about it and will do a complete flush with either Zerex G-05 or JD Cool-Gard II. I just have to figure out which one I want to use.

It is going in an original 1990 Jaguar XJS(32K miles) that currently runs cool with zero issues. LOL. It does have the original radiator which I believe is copper. Which one do you guys think would work better in this car? Thanks.

JD has tested it and shows it is better than other coolants as far as its impact on metals including aluminum and copper as well as the solder.
I have used it a long time and swear by it. You can get test strips from Deere to check the condition of the fluid anytime, no guesswork on when you should change it.

Deere1.png

The more I read up on this Deere Coolant the more I like it. I think I will be changing my 88 E-150 over to it, as well as my 00 Century.

I forgot to mention in my post above that I have replaced the radiator in my truck once...because I wrecked it, which eventually led to one of the plastic tanks cracking. New rad was filled with CGII. Old one had CGII run through it and was spotless from top to bottom on removal.

It's an excellent coolant. I use it and G-05 interchangeably, but prefer CGII when it's convenient.

I will be heading to the local Deere dealer within the next week or so for a case of the concentrate. I have two vehicles due for a coolant flush and fill, one of them I will be replacing the thermostat. I will use the Deere CG-II for now on in my 88 E-150 and 00 Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back