Gun lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned and lubed the bolt on my 110BA .338LM with the red AMSOIL synthetic grease. We'll see how it compares to the Petro-Canada synthetic grease I've been using on my other guns which appears to hold up incredibly well.

The one thing I don't like about Frog Lube is that I have heard that it is not that great in long term storage. I have heard that it kind of dries out.

Mystic: I have heard and read the same thing. I have many rifles and 2 handguns.

The rifles that I don't shoot but one or two times a year basically stored guns. I have well lubed and coated with regular CLP.

We shoot our handguns and 2 AR-15 as well as a highly modified SKS-->These have all been prepped and lubed with Frog Lube.

No complaints from either type of lube!! I just like the eco-friendly lube for my go to weapons.

I also keep a Frog Lubed Self Defense tactical shotgun very close by... It has worked flawlessly for 3 years. Maybe 800 rounds through it... Both Slugs-Buckshot-Birdshot!

It's all preference!

Quote:
CLP

Pre-clean using above procedure with FrogLube Solvent™.
For best results, apply heat to area to be treated. Heat from a heat lamp, heat blower or ambient sunlight is more than sufficient.
Apply FrogLube and allow time to absorb. (heat quickens the rate of absorption)
Scrub, agitate, and wipe off excess. Normal cleaning tools such as nylon brushes, patches, wipes and towels are sufficient.
Lubricate per manufacturers instruction. FrogLube will work dry or wet.
Note: In hot/dusty or extreme cold, follow manufacturers directions for use in extreme environmental conditions.
If storing, apply a light coat for long term protection.

http://froglube.com/froglube-product-info/froglube-directions/

There is NO reason to apply a heat lamp to a lubricant. None. And metal does not "absorb" oil like a sponge. Marketing bunk like this is why I won't use the product.

And their MSDS:
http://froglube.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/FrogLube-Slovent-2013-MSDS.pdf

Almost every thing is listed as "N/A". Specific gravity >1 suggests chlorinated paraffin which is NOT natural. All of the health effects on the MSDS are "N/A" and I find nothing on their site about "non-toxic".
Their site says that it is insoluble in water but their MSDS says "complete"?

I have tried all different kinds of stuff. Right now I am giving a good trial to CorrosionX which AMC recommended. I did not have much chance in the winter to give CorrosionX a good trial. The one time I shot my gun lubricated with it the gun functioned extremely well. Now that it is getting warmer I will be able to give it more testing. I go to an outdoor range.

If CorrosionX does not get the job done I am thinking about just going back to the old stuff that definitely works-Hoppes No. 9 bore cleaner for the barrel and Hoppes gun oil or Breakfree for the gun.

I have tried so many 'miracle' gun cleaners and gun oils that CorrosionX is the last one. No more 'miracle' gun oils and gun cleaners for me. I will just use what the oldtimers used and all the manufacturers of the 'miracle' gun oils can go out of business as far as I am concerned.

Even if CorrosionX works you still need some other cleaner for the gun barrel. Like Hoppes No. 9 bore cleaner or Hoppes Elite bore cleaner.

Just used Hoppe's Elite cleaner - worked great, and the lack of smell/volatile OC's was an added bonus. Lubed with Hoppe's Elite...looked like oil to me...

But the cleaner was excellent.

I do like using Hoppes Elite gun cleaner and MPro7 cleaner for the barrel of a handgun. Because the barrel can be removed in the case of semi-autos. But because these products are water based as far as I know I will not clean the entire gun with them. To the best of my knowledge these two cleaners are actually the same product. Hoppes apparently has a contract with MPro7.

The rest of the gun can be wiped down first and then cleaned with Breakfree. Or else CorrosionX. I don't think CorrosionX is that great of a cleaner but it, or Breakfree, is probably good enough for the rest of the gun.

I don't like the Hoppes Elite gun oil all that much. And I heard a story about a guy involved in competition who lubed his gun with Hoppes Elite gun oil and there was major corrosion on his gun. Right now I am using CorrosionX to lubricate the gun.

If CorrosionX gets the job done I will continue to use it. Otherwise I would probably use Breakfree or even Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner and MPro7 gun cleaner are fine for the barrel.

Here is a new one to research : Air Tool Oil ... Corrosion protection and high RPM protection should be good oil for slides ...Available at auto parts stores.

Thanks but I am done searching for gun cleaners and gun oils. I am pretty impressed with this CorrosionX right now, but I was able to shoot my gun only one time before winter came. Now that it is warming up I can test this CorrosionX better. I think CorrosionX is really good protecting form corrosion according to the testing I have seen on YouTube and it seems to lubricate well, but I don't think it is the greatest gun cleaner. So I would use something else to clean the gun barrel.

But if or some reason I don't like CorrosionX I am done messing around with gun oils and gun cleaners. I would just go back to either Hoppes No. 9 bore cleaner or Hoppes Elite (or MPRo7) to clean the gun barrel and Breakfree to clean the rest of the gun and either Breakfree or Hoppes No. 9 gun oil to lubricate the gun.

I have tried so many different gun cleaners and gun oils I would have a hard time remembering and listing them all. There are good enough cleaners for the barrels but I have yet to see a gun oil that really impressed me. But CorrosionX is pretty good so far.

I think for a rifle or shotgun barrel I would use only Hoppes No.9 bore cleaner and Breakfree to clean it. Because these other cleaners like Hoppes Elite are water based I believe. But with a semi-auto the barrel can be removed for cleaning.

The one thing I know is that they can't seem to replace ancient old Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner and ancient old Hoppes gun oil still works also.

I stay away from stuff that has some harmful chemical in it. I would rather have the gun wear out than get cancer. And I would not even think about using something like carb cleaner on a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back