valvoline Dino motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've used it once or twice, no complaints i guess other then the price of it now.

a friend of my dad uses it in his bike exclusively no issues.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
i've used it once or twice, no complaints i guess other then the price of it now.

If you're talking about the dino, it's still relatively inexpensive compared to other motorcycle specific oils...I don't know about the syn as I don't use it...

Originally Posted By: sunruh
in what bike?

in a car motor harley?

or a shared sump inline4?

difference is night and day.

Walmart has the Valvoline 10w40 for $3.98 so I just picked some up for my 07 GSX-R1000, since its first oil change, I've always used Honda GN4, this is the first time I'm changing things up.

Any reason not to put the Valvoline in?

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
Originally Posted By: sunruh
in what bike?

in a car motor harley?

or a shared sump inline4?

difference is night and day.

Walmart has the Valvoline 10w40 for $3.98 so I just picked some up for my 07 GSX-R1000, since its first oil change, I've always used Honda GN4, this is the first time I'm changing things up.

Any reason not to put the Valvoline in?

It certainly will not be any worse than the GN4 you used before.

I've tried many different oils in my bike from Amsoil, to Mobil 1, to Rotella and others, and my bike shifts smoother with the Valvoline than it did with any of the others. Now I know this isn't a scientific evaluation or anything, but I would certainly think it's telling me the lubricating qualities of this oil are pretty darn good...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

If you're talking about the dino, it's still relatively inexpensive compared to other motorcycle specific oils...I don't know about the syn as I don't use it...

when i used it like 7 or 8 years ago it was around 4 bucks a quart. no idea what it is now but i think its probably closer to 5.

I think Mystik has motorcycle or atv oil thats is priced the same.

amsoil and mobil prices are just insane.

I'll stick with Rotella.

Last edited:
My wife preffers Valvoline 10-40 in her 99 Vulcan 1500.
Just because thats what the p o used. No other reason, so i spend a bit extra on it.
Just changed mine out yesterday with RT-15-40.
In fact did 3. 2001 Vulcan 1500 fi, 2002 Xr650R, 1982 Xl500R.
one bike and 4 quads to go........ ;-)

Last edited:
Has anyone used/tried a car oil 20w-50 Pennzoil in a air cooled v-twin motorcycle like a Virago? Did it caused any clutch slippage?

Pennzoil PCMO tends to have quite a bit of moly in it which can cause some issues. If you want a cheap car oil to run you can use Valvoline VR1 and Kendall GT1 in 20w50 flavors and not have issues.

Virago's were usually speced for 20w40 oil so you could just run Rotella 15w40 in the bike.

Just put this oil in my GSXR1000

Coming from Honda GN4 I can't tell a difference other than about 50% less price.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
forgot to mention...AutoZone runs sales on their motorcycle oil 1-2 times per year; if they are out of Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil they usually can be 'persuaded' to discount the Valvoline 10w-40 ATV oil which they also sell...basically same stuff with a different label (both are JASO-MA rated)...

Im not sure what the differnces are between the atv and the standard 10w40, but I find it strange there is a difference on the viscosity, the standard is 15.2 and the atv is 15.0

Having said that, I have several hundred miles on the standard 10w40 ma, and it seems very usuable function wise. I got it on sale for $3.99 per quart.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Has anyone used valvoline motorcycle oil or tryed it? They sale it at Walmart and auto zone about 5 bucks a quart. Thanks wondering how it will hold up?

You cant beat Valvoline Conventional Motorcycle oil. I had a UPA done on it and even Amsoil compared it to other oils and it held its own and exceeded many of the synthetics in an oil test.
I use the 20/50 in summer, held its viscosity as good or better then any other oil. Nice shifting up until my change and even then, didnt really need to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back