FRAM Extra Guard Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The Ultra is now the XG.....

In reality the Ultra is still an Ultra, but they use and have used the prefix XG in their product applications, which is the same prefix used on the EXtended Guard they superseded.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Over the years I have heard all of the stories of FRAM orange can filters being junk, but I'm thinking that maybe it's all folklore. Seems to me the FRAM OCOD stories are based on the same ignorance that served as the foundation of the QS/Pennzoil myths. Anyway, I purchased one the other night for my Dakota with the 4.7 litre V8, and was wondering what the BITOG consensus is? I know the Ultra's are pretty highly regarded, but how about the Extra Guards? I can always just buy a NAPA Gold later, and keep the FRAM as a memento.

Im starting to feel the same.. I think if some people use a FRAM Extra Gaurd and leave that oil filter in the car 10K miles then it wont hold up.....

However if the oil filter is use with the correct OCI it should be fine.. also some say the FRAM dont have as many pleats.. but I feel its a better quality filter media so it dont need as many pleats..

I mean FRAM as been on the market for years... if they really caused problems they would of been taken off the market years ago.

IIRC, MotorKing has indicated that the EG filter has glass-enhanced media; that's what the Wix/NG has. Now, I don't know to what level the glass-enhanced % is used. It's kind of like the topic of "semi-syn" lubes; just how much of the lube is dino and how much is syn? But generally, the Fram EG filter is a pretty darn efficient filter overall; 95% @ >20um. That's as good, if not better, than a lot of other "basic" pure-cellulose media filters such as Puro Classic, MC, Napa Silver, etc. And it's WAY better than a lot of the OEM Honda and Toyota offerings.

Sometimes the EG is perceived to not be a good buy, and I've even said that, too, but you are getting media that's "better" than average in their basic offering. If they put a silicone ADBV in the EG, I would consider it a much better deal.

My new filter-de-jour is the TG; great overall package offering. It, too, is glass enhanced, but must be a tighter density to offer the 99% rating, and has the silicone ADBV.

Motorking said the orange cans were about 20% synthetic on average, thus the reason for their relatively high efficiency for an entry level filter, and the reason they get away with less media pleats to achieve the same end.

He said the Tough Guards were 30-35% synthetic blend on average. The Tough Guards have become my favorite Fram and offer so much with a 99% efficiency and 10k rating I won't ever need anything higher tier than that. Like oil, I'd suspect most Tough Guards are badly under utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back