1ZZ-FE on Napa Full Synthetic for extended drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 01 Celica GT burns 1 quart every 3k mile, do you guys think Napa Full Synthetic would be good for 12k OCI? Reason I ask is from all the UOA I saw of SynPower it seems to be a great oil but not for extended drains and even though Napa FS is similar but not the same as SynPower, it is at a great price of $1.82/quart for me currently.

SynPower Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 6,600 Max (4,329)
Napa Syn Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 6,600 Max (5,411)

I have no intention to do a UOA as I will be buying a brand new short block from toyota in 6 months to 2 years time. I hate oil burners and the 05+ blocks have that issue fixed from what I have read on various forums including owners of 05+ 1ZZ-FE motors here on BITOG.

Sump size with oversized filter: 4.6 quartz
1 quart added every 3k
Total of 3 additional quartz of Napa Full Synthetic added by the time the oil change would hit 12k.

Car is currently driven 12k yearly and would be down to 6k yearly come August with 3-4k of it being on put on 2 long road trips yearly from college in wyoming back to sweet home Missouri.

I would run Dino oil and change after 5 k or 6k. Adding synth oil to an oil burner at 1 qt per 3k, is a waste of oil and money IMHO.

Since your needs will be 6k per year from August, it'll be a once per year annual oil change. Just top up as needed.

The make up oil would be 65% or 2/3 of complete change at your rate of burn off. That oil should normally be fine at 7.5k miles OCI so I do not see why you would not be fine at 12k miles. And at that price, you would be crazy not to use it. Where are you getting such a good price and is it available to the public in general?

Regardless I would change twice a year: late fall then early spring. the PPD will (likely) be too depleted to make it through a Mo winter unless you did an OCI in late fall at the min. This is a grpII blend not a technical "full syn" like European LL oils.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would change twice a year: late fall then early spring.

I agree and if it was my vehicle, I'd be using a full synthetic.

Are you using 5w20 or 5w30? I know the 1ZZ originally called for 5w30 but got back-spec'd to the 20.

At that price why not just use that Napa syn? Unbeatable value even if you do burn oil.

If only you could get Maxlife that cheap!

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I know the 1ZZ originally called for 5w30 but got back-spec'd to the 20.

Not true.

OP: 1qt in 3000 miles is not bad in pre-03 1ZZ-FE, but I would not personally waste synthetic oil in oil burner nor do extended OCI. Filter may not be good for 12000 miles with lots of carbon generated by oil burning.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Not true.

OP: 1qt in 3000 miles is not bad in pre-03 1ZZ-FE, but I would not personally waste synthetic oil in oil burner nor do extended OCI. Filter may not be good for 12000 miles with lots of carbon generated by oil burning.

Yes it's not back specced I know, oil gets burned through exhaust end, there is no "hard" carbon deposits that are in the block to end up in the filter lol...

The carbon deposits were on the valves, barely anything I guess but it depends on the perspective and oil control rings were carboned up fully, the oil pan, the head didn't have any sludge build up, nor was was the rest of the engine I would know as I was involved in the rebuild with a friend of mine.

Reason it burns 1 qt every 3k is because the previous owners abused the car and let it run low on oil plenty of times.
The connecting rod bearings were shot, installed new ones and apparently the cylinder walls were worn off enough to still have an oil burning issue.
Drilled additional holes in piston, new rings, and new valve stem seals.

Last edited:

Not true.

Check out this chart from Toyota

toyotaoilrecommendation.jpg

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
oil control rings were carboned up fully

Yes, that's the carbon I was referring to. If there is any semi decent cleaning by new oil or solvent, that carbon ends up in filter.

This is NOT official Toyota chart. This chart surfaced from this source: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2143617/1

The same source provided a complementary Lexus chart: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457090

Notice the caption:
Quote:
"TCI has made all possible efforts to ensure accuracy of this document. In the event of specification dispute and/or inconsistency, the owner's manual prevails. Note: Engine oil viscosity on oil filler cap specifies oil viscosity utilized during engine factory fill. For service refill, other oil grade options may be available for the model. This information is also available on ETAS: Dealer Communication (16) *Please discard all previous versions.

Clearly the chart is from TCI or ETAS. I don't know what they are but they are NOT Toyota.
Toyota's documentation is in clear conflict to the above charts.

This is NOT official Toyota chart. This chart surfaced from this source: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2143617/1

The same source provided a complementary Lexus chart: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457090

Notice the caption:
Quote:
"TCI has made all possible efforts to ensure accuracy of this document. In the event of specification dispute and/or inconsistency, the owner's manual prevails. Note: Engine oil viscosity on oil filler cap specifies oil viscosity utilized during engine factory fill. For service refill, other oil grade options may be available for the model. This information is also available on ETAS: Dealer Communication (16) *Please discard all previous versions.

Clearly the chart is from TCI or ETAS. I don't know what they are but they are NOT Toyota.
Toyota's documentation is in clear conflict to the above charts.

TCI is Toyota Canada Inc.

ETAS is: ETAS USA offers comprehensive, integrated tools and tool solutions for the development and service of automotive ECUs along with premium product support, customer training, and engineering services.

Basically, they are similar to BMW's TIS in providing service and repair information as well as diagnostic tools used at dealerships.

Napa Syn for less than $2, go for that but I would not want to do extended OCI. Both the Napa and VSP are Ashland products. If you really want to do an extended drain, then go with PP/M1. I would go with Napa for cheap and change it 7.5-10K or so. Although your long trips back and forth between school and home, I bet you take a lot of college-short trips so I would err on the shorter OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back