Craftsman: US vs. Chinese built

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craftsman had some Made in Japan stuff years ago. I have a set of the raised panel wrenches and they are pretty nice.

I don't see any reason to buy Craftsman these days. If you're going to buy cheap Chinese tools you may as well not spend much money.

Last edited:
There's no question that todays Craftsman tools aren't as good as the old USA made Craftsman tools. The first Cratsman wrenches I ever got, from the 1970's, are still going strong. There's also no question that the tools imported from China are better today than they were 10 years ago. Way better. So what's a tool buyer to do if he wants good quality tools but doesn't want to break the bank getting them? Truck brands like Snap On are out of the price range for most non professional mechanics. Brands like SK get sold and watered down and their stuff starts getting made in China too. Either pay big bucks for American or European tools or learn to shop around and find good mid range tools from a variety of makers. My box is filled with a mix of tools from all over the world. The Snap On tools I have are my bragging pieces. The other stuff isn't to bragg about but all of it gets the job done. That's what counts. I expect that even my China made tools will last for generations with a moderate amount of care. I shop around, read tool reviews and am always ready to take advantage of a good tool buy. It's not often that I am sorely disappointed with a tool purchase. I think most people here have the good sense to be able to heft a tool and tell whether it's good or bad; wherever it came from. I'd rather be able to have a box full of USA made tools but that choice was taken away from me by the American manufacturers who chose to send their business outside of the USA. I need a set of flare wrenches but I can't bring myself to spend Snap On's asking price. Gear wrench gets excellent reviews and they are half the price. They'll be getting my money.

Valentine

Last edited:
Except an increasing percentage on Snap-On's tools are getting made overseas too. SK may not be the absolute top tier but they are still very, very good and still American made. If you are willing to pay a premium and still get premium tools you might have to look at Hazet, Stahlwille, Nepros, etc. I've got a small metric ratchet set from Stahlwille and it's absolutely a hefty step above Snap-On but they reflect that with the price too. Japan makes some very high-grade hand tools and have the leverage of large steel companies like Hitachi to produce custom alloy steels for their production.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the Stahlwille?
I pay about $60-80 for a ratchet 1/4-1/2 and about the same For Hazet.

I paid a bit over $200 for a set that had 3/8" ratchet, extension, U-joint, and about 10 sockets from a contract when ATK was installing some equipment for the plant I worked at about 7 - 8 years ago. Pretty good deal at the time and it's the only set that travels with me in my fullsize truck when I'm on the road. I keep a small Kobalt set in my Ranger and I always feel like I'm cheating myself.

No complaints over the last of my USA-Made Craftsman pro "bigger" wrench set (19-27mm or so and 3/4 to 1 1/16) which I got for alignments. I tend to do stunts like lift the other end with a jack to break jam nuts free.
blush.gif
Don't want the open end opening up and have had good luck.

Danahar made the last of the "regular" craftsman line, and Kobalt too, during both brands' last gasp at US bragging. My 36 tooth 3/8 ratchet was awful-- always shifting into neutral or reverse, and jamming. Traded it under warranty on a 72 tooth Taiwan one. Night and day.

FTR, Taiwan != China.

"They" say chroming is a real downer in US due to EPA. They have a different tech (Hexavalent?) and long story short if one isn't passionate about chrome they should do it somewhere else.

HF just opened a couple stores here and people are in the aisles and happy. Sears makes me want to jump off a cliff.

I have a lot of old Craftsman, SK, and Snap On tools. All US made, I'll pass them down some day. Good tools! Not like what I'm seeing today.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
I paid a bit over $200 for a set that had 3/8" ratchet, extension, U-joint, and about 10 sockets from a contract when ATK was installing some equipment for the plant I worked at about 7 - 8 years ago. Pretty good deal at the time and it's the only set that travels with me in my fullsize truck when I'm on the road. I keep a small Kobalt set in my Ranger and I always feel like I'm cheating myself.

Great deal. Once you have used the best anything else just seems cheesy.
I must say though my favorite ratchet of all time is an old USA made Master Mechanic 1/4" drive sold by Ace harware, no idea who actually made it.
The thing is at least 30 years old and is the only ratchet i go to when i need 1/4".
Its almost to the point i hate to use it because i'm afraid of breaking it after all this time.
lol.gif

I hear you on having that one special tool that you' re afraid to use because you can't replace it. On the other hand, I know that I'll drop dead someday and I have no intentions of leaving behind a chest full of pristine, lightly used tools that someone else will only misuse and break. Use your tools and enjoy them, if they break, find another tool that will' do the job.

Valentine

Oh i have used it almost daily for 30 years and its far from pristine.
I paid $5 or 6 for it in 1984 so its not getting retired, i'm still trying to get my moneys worth out of it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
BlownF150 said:
I must say though my favorite ratchet of all time is an old USA made Master Mechanic 1/4" drive sold by Ace harware,

Are you sure you didn't purchase it from a True Value Hardware store? I worked at a True Value hardware in the mid 80's while in high school and remember the house tools being labeled Master Mechanic. Pretty sure I still have some of those ratchet's and wrenches myself.

You could be right. It was a long time ago, i wasn't in this area for many years and its a Ace hardware now but may have been a True Value.
Any idea who made these tools?

Easco made the early Master Mechanic USA stuff then it was Stanley. After Stanley they switched to the cheap Asian [censored]. I'll see if I still have my 1/4" Master Mechanic ratchet and post a photo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
My vintage 1980's made in USA Craftsman tools are way better than today's Chinese tools or the more recent Made in USA Craftsman tools. Back them Craftsman hand tools they were made by Stanley.

My dad used to have a set he got as a wedding gift. They were stolen about 10 years ago sadly.

I bought my Craftsman tools after my cheap made in Taiwan tools were stolen in a house robbery. I was not upset that they were taken either,

Here are my True Value Master Mechanic ratchet's and 1 of the wrenches. They are all stamped USA but the 3/8 drive ratchet. These would be from the 1985-87 vintage.

DSC00212_zpsd8824794.jpg

DSC00214_zpsc7c1a0ca.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino

FTR, Taiwan != China.

"They" say chroming is a real downer in US due to EPA. They have a different tech (Hexavalent?) and long story short if one isn't passionate about chrome they should do it somewhere else.

What I find is that when you buy ultra premium tools like Snap On, Mac, or Matco, you do get excellent chrome plating and it is made in the USA.

I find that the tools that are made in China flake away easily.

Yes, there is a relationship between China and Taiwan, but I find that stuff made in Taiwan is usually better than the stuff from mainland China.

My favorite 3/8 ratchet of all time doesn't have a bit of chrome on it - matter of fact the majority of it is plastic. It's a Master Mechanic labeled piece from a True Value. I've had it for probably 15 years and it does everything I ask of it and just fits my hand well. My fave 1/2 is the extendable handle one from HF.

Originally Posted By: chestand
My favorite 3/8 ratchet of all time doesn't have a bit of chrome on it - matter of fact the majority of it is plastic. It's a Master Mechanic labeled piece from a True Value. I've had it for probably 15 years and it does everything I ask of it and just fits my hand well. My fave 1/2 is the extendable handle one from HF.

I've actually heard good things about the HF composite ratchet and have been meaning to give one a try. With a lifetime warranty, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back