OEM GM Tires. 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a newer truck in the back of my mind, was even leaning towards a Tundra. Politics aside, I went with 'employee pricing' on a 2014 'double cab' Sierra. The tires that come on it fall short when compared to my fairly new load range "E" Michelins in my 2500 HD trade in.

I'll most likely keep the originals on the new truck, 17" verses the 16 with the 2003 trade in. I was also thinking about going with load range E at some time with the new 1/2 ton. I have heard about some removing and selling OEM tires to go with something they like, any advice on that? Just pondering some ideas.

I am personally a big fan of running D or E rated tires on pickups. However, there are some here that will recommend staying with the P-Rated tires.

I would run the P rated tires until they wear out and then put on actual truck tires.

Never hurts to ask the dealer or a local tire shop if they can swing you a deal on a different set. Somebody just might want those new tires.

I'm a fan of running the type of tire specified by the factory. With 1500s, that's usually a P-metric tire. With 2500s and 3500s, that's often an LT tire. Either one is appropriate for the rated use.

If you do use an LT tire where a P-metric was specified, don't make the mistake that most do. You need to increase the inflation pressure of the LT tire much beyond the factory-recommended pressure for the P-metric tire because you'll prematurely fatigue an LT tire if run at P-metric pressures.

Can't run E rated tires low enough on a light duty truck without possible damage as stated above. Also expect poor ride and very poor handling at the lower pressures you'll need to use.

Run the P-Metric tires. They work great and handle extended loads so they very likely will exceed your needs. I strongly recommend the LTX MS2 from Michelin as they last like iron and stick like glue.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I had a newer truck in the back of my mind, was even leaning towards a Tundra. Politics aside, I went with 'employee pricing' on a 2014 'double cab' Sierra. The tires that come on it fall short when compared to my fairly new load range "E" Michelins in my 2500 HD trade in.

I'll most likely keep the originals on the new truck, 17" verses the 16 with the 2003 trade in. I was also thinking about going with load range E at some time with the new 1/2 ton. I have heard about some removing and selling OEM tires to go with something they like, any advice on that? Just pondering some ideas.

It's not clear, but it sounds like you are considering keeping the tires that come on your new truck until they wear out, then making a change.

But on the off chance I read that wrong, be aware that Tire Rack says that 16" wheels will not fit on the new truck.

GM does a pretty decent job of tire selection - so depending on what you are going to use the truck for, those might be fine.

Second, making a swap is going to cost you money no matter how you slice it. Your best bet is to make the tires part of the purchase deal. Trying to sell tires is just a matter of how low you have to sell them to get them off your hands. I'm betting that the dealer will be able to beat that.

And lastly, I am not a fan of swapping out P type tires for LT type tires. LT's require 15 psi more to get the same load carrying capacity (all other things being equal) - and since the springs, shocks, and sway bar settings were specified for the original spring rate of the tires, using a stiffer tire is going to be less than optimal.

Thanks for the informative opinions. Yes, I'll probably just keep the factory tires until they wear our. I just had some bad flashbacks to 'Tiger Paw' tires on a GM years ago.

If I did put in 17" 'LT' tires down the road I would go with a higher PSI. I have owned a 2500 series truck the last 15+ years, adjusted the psi up and down as load & ride called for.

No I was not trying to put 16" tires on this truck, just saying my 16" Michelins are no use any more.

As mentioned, with the $$ involved to switch around I think I'll just give the OEM tires the best care I can then upgrade with the next set, years down the road. I'd like to allocate some $$ towards a bedline and a cap anyways. As of right now looking at a 'Duel-Liner' for bed protection and an A.R.E. or Leer cap.

You could run 17" LT tires on it-just be sure to run a MINIMUM of 45 PSI & be prepared for a slightly rougher ride-and much longer tread life if you tow or haul heavy with it. We had an E-350 that PepBoys stupidly put P-metric tires on in place of the 10 ply tires it was supposed to have-they wore out in 20K!

My old 2003 F150 ran stock LT265/70R17 and the factory pressure recommendation was 35 PSI. My brother in law had the same truck, except it wasn't an FX4 (mine had different shocks and skids) and IIRC his P265/70R17's were also 35PSI. I never noticed a difference in ride quality.

As soon as my factory tires expire on my 2012 F150, I too will be moving to an LT and upsizing a bit. I plan to run LT275/70R18 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3

I am running a set of LT 265 70 17 (Load Range C) Tires on my 2004 F150 and I can't wait to get rid of them and return to the OEM P-series tire. I switch between a P-series snow tire and these LT's, and the ride is much worse and skittish on the LT tires. For the equivalent load carrying capacity, the LT tires are supposed to be at 41-42 psi, and I run my rears at 36ish psi unloaded to keep center wear down.

On my old 1999 F150, a set of LT tires helped with what I felt was a sloppy ride. Not so on the 2004.

My recommendation is to stick with what the OEM specified for tire type. The springs/shocks etc... all assumed that type of tire, so stick with it.

So, what did the new truck come with... General Grabbers? Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max? Bridgestone Dueler HT's?

Yes, they are General 'Grabbers'. Look O.K for brand new, but kinda iffy for a tire snob(no not quite that level). I will try to just keep them(free rotations) and upgrade later. I may put some Blizzacks on for Winter.

Stock GM tires suck but luckily they wear out quickly so you don't have to live with them for long!

I run E's on my half ton, the ride is ruined but its a truck I don't care. E's are thicker and can shrug off some nail and screw punctures.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Can't run E rated tires low enough on a light duty truck without possible damage as stated above. Also expect poor ride and very poor handling at the lower pressures you'll need to use.

Run the P-Metric tires. They work great and handle extended loads so they very likely will exceed your needs. I strongly recommend the LTX MS2 from Michelin as they last like iron and stick like glue.

E's are fine on a 1/2 ton you just need to air them up if your going to max out the carrying capacity over a long distance. I run 40 psi all around in mine un loaded.

Only time I air up the rears is when I'm carrying 1,500 pounds in the back on the highway for extended periods, than I go to 60 in the rears. For short distances around town it doesn't matter you don't build heat in the tires at 25mph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Yes, they are General 'Grabbers'. Look O.K for brand new, but kinda iffy for a tire snob(no not quite that level). I will try to just keep them(free rotations) and upgrade later. I may put some Blizzacks on for Winter.

General Grabbers are one of the top-rated tires at TireRack, and Consumer Reports liked them as well.

Granted though, I'm sure that they're no LTX.

You must have gotten an early production truck, as the very first models were the only ones that I saw with Grabbers.

Since then, GM has started using the Dueler HT as a "base" tire, and the Assurance (as blackwall) or the SR-A (as RWL) on pretty much everything else.

Yes, I did see other trucks on the lot with what I consider to be better tires. I didn't see the need to stew about it though, the rest of the truck was fine. They tried hard to get me to bite on an extended warranty and a few other things. I told them to not feel bad, as I never buy them.

I'd probably see if the dealer would credit you the oem tires towards a set of michelin ltx ms/2

buying a new vehicle.. having to put up with substandard tires for the first 40000-50000 miles would be a bummer.

If it ends up being half off the new tires you would make out ok?

or you could do it yourself and craigslist the oem tires.

Last edited:
As someone who regularly buys one ton vans and light duty Silverados I can say that the OEM tires chosen are for price only.

The Bridgestones that come on the vans are by far the WORST E range tire available. They stink in the wet and dry, do not ride well, and wear out under 30k miles! Junk is being kind.

I can't wait till they wear out, as we then install Michelins and get three to four times the mileage with a great improvement in traction and a HUGE improvement in ride quality...

True, 16 inch tires will not fit over the outer tie rod end on 2013+ Chevs and GMCs.
If you are not happy with the tires the 1500s come with, shop around the 4X4 shops that
install lift kits and monster tires on 2500 and 3500s.

The owners of the trucks being modified will usually sell their stock E-Rated tires and
wheels for a song.

Both the 265/70/18s and 265/60/20s will fit 1500s with room to spare.

The suspension is very soft on the 1500s.
What is all the fuss about the ride quality of
an E-Rated tire?

A stock option on the 1500s is a 275/55/20 that is 31.9 inches tall.

That tire will ride harsher than an E-Rated 265/70/18 that is 32.6 inches tall
inflated to carry the same weight.

A Cadillac Esclade has 285/45/22s and nobody complains about the tires being too harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back