oil on intake valve's back - sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was taking off my intake manifold to do a change over to EFI. I noticed that the closed valves have oil on the back of them (this is a SBC 350). Engine only has 1000 miles and valve seals were new (viton ones), heads were new (bronze guides).

Engine had been sitting for 2 weeks without running. Is this normal ?

If all 8 intake valves have oil on them then I would suspect the valve seals are not doing there job. If it is only on a couple cylinders then I would be more inclined to believe that it was drawing in the oil by the intake manifold.

I also just thought about a possible PCV issue. If the engine has high vacuum and aftermarket valve covers that don't have a baffle, it can suck in oil like a straw. If it just has open air breathers, then that's not it.

Just double-checking....any evidence of the oil getting sucked past the intake manifold gaskets from the lifter valley?

Were you running an aluminum manifold?

Where you running Fel-Pro Perma-Torque gaskets?

If yes to both the above, try Fel-Pro Print-O-Seal gaskets.

Oh, two more things regarding the valve stem seals. Are these the positive sealing ones that attach to the valve guides or are they just umbrella-type seals?

Did you remember to install the little o-ring seals on the valve stems that go on top of the retainer and under the keepers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back