Oil Filter Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our customers aren't kept in the dark about our parts. The filters are in plain sight where anyone can see them. The filters are much newer than anyone here is assuming. That's really all I have to add.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have locks on all my fluid caps so they can't be disturbed! Like a locking gas cap.

What about the drain plug or the filter? What if someone went to do a good deed and drained your oil only to find that they couldn't put any back in? What if is ticked them off and they just left your car with no oil?

So much for Good Samaritan oil changers.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I have locks on all my fluid caps so they can't be disturbed! Like a locking gas cap.

What about the drain plug or the filter? What if someone went to do a good deed and drained your oil only to find that they couldn't put any back in? What if is ticked them off and they just left your car with no oil?

I might consider welding the drain plug on and going mity vac only!

A true bitoger would pull the pan every time then and post pics of the internals.

My dad bought a couple of flats of filters at an estate auction a couple of years ago forpeople that had a small service station long ago. These were filters that listed the applications on the box. The newest application were from the late sixties to early seventies. I would guess that the filters were about that oldas the station closed in the late 70s. They were frams and some motor crafts if I remember right. He used a couple of the ones that fit his 94 ford truck (fl1a application) and sold the rest at a swap meet to collectors. Nothing he used blew up so they must not have been to bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Red91
Our customers aren't kept in the dark about our parts. The filters are in plain sight where anyone can see them. The filters are much newer than anyone here is assuming. That's really all I have to add.

Hope your shop is insured and can handle potential claims under the doctrine of reasonable expectations statutes of your state (most states has them on the books in one form or another).

I for one would not reasonably expect a shop to install 20 year old filters or oil as part of a regular oil change service.

I would just cut one up. Check the construction for age etc. That way you know for sure. Post the pics here too.

Originally Posted By: Red91

I doubt anyone going into your shop playing with their smart phone is going to know the difference between an oil filter and a can of beans.Let me know if you buy meat from the back of a station wagon.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I can`t imagine any scenario where someone would try to be a good Samaritan oil changer. That is pretty funny though.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back