Such thing as chemical paint decontamination??

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an alternative to clay? I would love to decontaminate the Accords paint. There are a lot of those little hard small sap droppings on the roof, very small and only noticeable when viewing the roof at eye level. First of all, would clay even tackle such contaminants? I would just use clay, but if I understand right, it takes some time to clay an entire car, especially for the first time since the paint would be loaded with these contaminants. Also, I don't like the fact that clay will mar the paint, dragging those contaminants over the paint doesn't appeal to me. So is there a product out there that I could just spray on to get rid of water spots and contaminants...AND NOT HARM THE PAINT, as far as stripping the clear coat or what not. Up until now it gets a wash once every 1-2 weeks and a spray wax right after the wash. A paste or liquid wax is applied once every 3 months or so. It is outside 24/7 in the Florida elements. Lots of direct sun, and its parked under a tree from 6 PM until I go to work in the morning where it sits in the direct sun for 9 hours. Paint is desert mist metallic (Honda paint color).

Yes, it is called Iron-X.

It won't remove your bird droppings, but it will greatly reduce the amount of contaminants on your paint -- Which will make claying easier and less likely to marr (since you'll have less junk to remove).

Clay marring is only going to be a major issue on very soft paint. And even when it happens, it's easily removed with an AIO.

The best guy to ask already answered lol.

Personally I have used the cheap simoniz clay..and its pretty hard to marr the paint with it..its quite mild and makes the paint smooth as glass. I would like to try the iron x though but i dont know why you would hesitate with using clay. Start with iron x like the critic suggests than clay it. Works great to get tar and baked on contamination out. I honestly want to buy a slightly less mild clay like a medium clay to take off more. It really adds alot to the final outcome (look and durability) after you wax it.

Clay would take care of those sap droppings but no need to load up a clay bar with tree sap, kinda a waste of clay in my opinion. If you know it's sap, rubbing alcohol will easily take care of it.

Afterwards I would still probably clay the paint and then apply a wax, a cleaner wax if you're worried about whatever minor marring clay might leave behind.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

It won't remove your bird droppings, but it will greatly reduce the amount of contaminants on your paint -- Which will make claying easier and less likely to marr (since you'll have less junk to remove).

Clay marring is only going to be a major issue on very soft paint. And even when it happens, it's easily removed with an AIO.

I thought Iron-X only removed iron? Also, would de-contamination actually help the paint last longer? or just look better?

Last edited:
Decontamination helps the paint both last longer and look better.

The contamination once it embeds itself can eventually eat a hole into the paint. Iron for example when bonded might not do much harm but overtime it can rust, and rust expands, which if embedded deep enough or had a long enough time to work can delaminate a section of paint. Also if you don't decontaminate when waxing one of those particles can dislodge while waxing and cause a pretty nasty scratch in the clear.

I know on my current car there are sections of chrome on the alloy wheels in the harder to clean areas that because of the previous owner never decontaminating the brake dust particles off the wheel has some small bumps of raised chrome which might start peeling later on in its life. So same can happen to paint.

Also wax bonds better to freshly decontaminated paint so you'll get longer lasting wax protection. Which is definitely a plus in terms of lasting longer. And another benefit is you also tend to use less wax and removing the wax is faster since there's no little bumps holding the wax on a freshly decontaminated surface so waxing is more economical and less time consuming.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I thought Iron-X only removed iron? Also, would de-contamination actually help the paint last longer? or just look better?

Sorry, I read your post a bit too fast. Yes, Iron-X is targeted towards removing ferrous particles. A lot of the "rough stuff" that you find in your paint will be ferrous particles -- such as rail dust. This is why the clay process will go faster (and be safer) after Iron-X.

I'm not sure if the paint will always last longer, but it will certainly look better and any protectant you apply will bond better.

Sorry, I read your post a bit too fast. Yes, Iron-X is targeted towards removing ferrous particles. A lot of the "rough stuff" that you find in your paint will be ferrous particles -- such as rail dust. This is why the clay process will go faster (and be safer) after Iron-X.

I'm not sure if the paint will always last longer, but it will certainly look better and any protectant you apply will bond better.

Ok, here is a question for you Critic. Could I just buy the Iron-X and skip the clay or should I do both? I am basically asking if Iron-X is enough of a decontamination process or if clay is needed.

Ok, here is a question for you Critic. Could I just buy the Iron-X and skip the clay or should I do both? I am basically asking if Iron-X is enough of a decontamination process or if clay is needed.

No, you will need both steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back