Which AF for 1989 Acura RS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got this car and I'm doing the basics. Not sure what was the original fill back in 89 but it's got green in it now. Nope distilled water in it now. What should I refill with?

Not sure what AF is...sorry. Are you talking about coolant? If it has a manual check that out, it will say. I would just go with Honda Long Life. Make sure you flush all the old stuff out thoroughly.

Yes, sorry for not typing it out. But I was asking about anti-freeze.

AF could also be Air Filter, but in the Cooling System Forum common sense leads to Anti-Freeze.

Possibly conventional green due to age. If you want to flush the system try Zerex G05 which is similar to conventional green but low silicate and longer life, it's basically universal.

Acura, just like with any other Honda or Japanese vehicle is specified to use no silicates. The Honda coolant is a phosphated HOAT. The engine is an aluminum type. Almost any coolant, if you do not exceed its specified use interval, will work fine for your Acura. However, apparently Honda has stated they do not endorse the use of 2EHA in their coolant.
Among other options, Honda sells their blue type 2, Zerex has an Asian formula, so does Beck & Arnley, and Pentosin sells some phosphated long-life. But those are notably more expensive. Low silicated coolants such as Zerex G-05, Pennzoil, and Shellzone (among others) will also work fine.
Again, if you change it every other year, almost anything will work for your vehicle.

Thank you. I've got distilled water in it now. I'm in the middle of doing a flush. I was going to let the water out tonight and add Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner. But now we're expecting the temps to drop down into the high 20's low 30's. So I'm going to add anti-freeze and start all over on Saturday.

I've been looking at Peak Global, Xerex Asian, or that other one that you can find at Pepboys for asian vehicles. It will probably be between Peak Global and Xerex Asian. Just because they are two brand names I recognize.

If Xerex Asian can be found at Pepboys, Napa, Carqest easily I'll probably go with that. Peak Global I can get at my local 7-11 (50/50).

Zerex Asian is the way to go if you can find it in concentrate, just don't accidentally buy the 50/50 which is what most people have available, the concentrate is harder to find.

Quote:
Zerex Asian is the way to go if you can find it in concentrate, just don't accidentally buy the 50/50 which is what most people have available, the concentrate is harder to find.

Never seen ZAF available as a concentrate either online or in store. And if one goes to the Zerex AF site to read the ZAF description it says "•Premixed with demineralized water" for the general description of ZAF. So afaik, ZAF is still only available as a premix. ZAF would still be an option, but if doing a flush more difficult and wasteful to get a final ~50% AF concentration.

A full strength P-HOAT option now available is the OEM Concentrate extended life AF's at PepBoys for ~$20/gal. It has an extended life service interval and when combined with distilled water can easily achieve a ~50% AF concentration after a flush. Also Peak Global Lifetime comes as a concentrate available at some Napa's would be a good option.

Personally I'd avoid if possible the All Makes Models AF's containing 2eha which is not recommended or used in Asian oem AF's.

Your right it's not available in concentrate, I Googled it and it showed another similar looking bottle but it was too blurry to read. I checked again and it's a heavy duty coolant in the black Zerex jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back