Shell Ecobox Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting packaging. I wonder if we will see this in Walmart eventually. I wouldn't mind this for my garage lube center as I prefer a bulk packaged oil to qt bottles anyway. Add a nice Oil Safe dispenser and I'd feel almost "professional."
19.gif

Just dont mix it up with the wife's cheap Box white zinfandel in the fridge :) Yeah! for Shell - but what's wrong with a reusable drum or carboy. I gues the Ecobox is a carboy. I get my Au Cyanide in an "ecobox".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_K
I have trouble with bottles leaking as it is.

John

Thanks for adding the link I forgot to. I'll bet the storage space for that near 400qt stash would be half the space in a bag! Leaks are leaks. I'd be wondering how I'd know when to squeeze the last drop out.

Pennzoil has had 6 gal "bag-in-a-box" for years. But, only the HM and fullsyn and blends. It isn't marketed for consumers though.

WalMart gets their Castrol HM in BIB for use in the lube centers.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Pennzoil had those before I retired five years ago.

Local Pennz QL has had the boxes of oil for years. That is how they get the HM, 4x4, and other "fancy" oils.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Pennzoil has had 6 gal "bag-in-a-box" for years. But, only the HM and fullsyn and blends. It isn't marketed for consumers though.

WalMart gets their Castrol HM in BIB for use in the lube centers.

Yep...we used those at Jiffy Lube for most anything that wasn't bulk 5W20-10W30. They are actually pretty convenient. We had these pitchers with 1 qt intervals marked off so we could just fill the pitcher with the right amount of oil and pour it in the car.

These are more convenient for shops than consumers IMO. They do save a lot of space and are not messy, but you need to find a place for the used oil. Pouring used oil back into the bag isn't happening. Saving up plastic soda bottles or milk jugs is a free/cheap solution to that problem though.

I ran across this thread a while ago, and have since been trying to track this packaging down. I contacted a couple of local Shell distributors, and they had no idea what I was on about. I happened to run across them in a parts store today while picking up oil filters. I was disappointed to find that QSUD was priced around $185 per box, working out to just over $8.00/Litre. With QSUD in 5L jugs frequently on sale at $28 (~$6/L), it's a big price to pay for convenient packaging. Hopefully the EcoBox ends up in a bigger retailer sooner than later.

About 5 years ago, I worked at a shop that used Pennzoil's equivalent. The packages always leaked, and getting the last bit of oil from the container was a chore.

They went to bottles soon afterward, and never went back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back