German Castrol new ow-40??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Saw a 5 qt jug at Wally's today. I guess it's going to be as good as the GC o-30? Any VOA's?

The 0w30 and 0w40 are virtually identical, as we've talked about before. Add packs are almost indistinguishable, and viscosities are quite close too.

My advice to folks is to just use the 0w40 since it is meeting API SN and some other newer/stricter specs.

The GC 0w30 in germany (different name I'm sure I mean really german castrol called german castrol? Ha ha) was told is synthetic so is the 0w40 the same?

Meaning is this stuff the real deal like the 0w30?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: dparm

The 0w30 and 0w40 are virtually identical, as we've talked about before. Add packs are almost indistinguishable, and viscosities are quite close too.

My advice to folks is to just use the 0w40 since it is meeting API SN and some other newer/stricter specs.

The reason that 0w40 is SN and the 0w30 isn't is because 40-wt oil is allowed to have more ZDDP than the lighter grades.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
So, I guess Castrol decided to have it manufactured in Germany instead of Belgium for marketability?

No, it was probably done for a price point. Blenders change this stuff around all the time.

What really impressed me is that my local Wal Mart charges ~$26 for this oil in a 5qt container. I thought they would charge more.

That also makes it the same price as M1 0w40.

Now that WM charges this price for Castrol 0w40, waiting for Advance Auto or Autozone to have a "Buy 5 quarts get a filter" sale might not be worth waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back