How long is lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Toyotas. 2003 corolla and a 2004 Rav4 AWD. Both have Type IV fluid that says the ATF is good for the life of the car under normal conditions. At about 50k miles on each one, the local JiffyLube guys said the ATF was burnt and needed to be flushed. So, took them to the local auto repair place and they said the ATF looked and smelled fine. No work needed. Same thing happened at 100k miles at jiffyLube but this time I took to a transmission shop. Again they said the fluid was fine; no work needed. At 150k miles again the jifflube guys said to change the ATF. Took them to another tranny shop. This shop said it was not wise to change fluid or do any maintenance on the tranny at 150k miles. I know the owner of the shop and he said to just let it be and throw in some Lucas if it acts up. I know a guy that owns his own auto repair facility and he also said to let the trannys be; they should make it to 300k miles.

As I read many of these posts I'm curious what people on here consider to be "lifetime" as defined by Toyota. With the frequent ATF change intervals that I see on this forum, how many miles are you hoping to get out of your cars? Or worded another way, what is the minimum miles you'd be satisfied with considering your maintenance program?

(PS I get the oil changed every 3-5k miles)

The Corolla has 202k miles and the Rav4 has 243k miles. Still going strong and never been in the shop except for brakes and tires and a coolant flush a couple years ago.

You could always pull some out with a Mityvac or similar & send it off to Blackstone or similar to be analyzed. 200K is a lot for any automatic transmission-if the UOA came back good I'd be afraid to change anything.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I have two Toyotas. 2003 corolla and a 2004 Rav4 AWD. Both have Type IV fluid that says the ATF is good for the life of the car under normal conditions. At about 50k miles on each one, the local JiffyLube guys said the ATF was burnt and needed to be flushed. So, took them to the local auto repair place and they said the ATF looked and smelled fine. No work needed. Same thing happened at 100k miles at jiffyLube but this time I took to a transmission shop. Again they said the fluid was fine; no work needed. At 150k miles again the jifflube guys said to change the ATF. Took them to another tranny shop. This shop said it was not wise to change fluid or do any maintenance on the tranny at 150k miles. I know the owner of the shop and he said to just let it be and throw in some Lucas if it acts up. I know a guy that owns his own auto repair facility and he also said to let the trannys be; they should make it to 300k miles.

As I read many of these posts I'm curious what people on here consider to be "lifetime" as defined by Toyota. With the frequent ATF change intervals that I see on this forum, how many miles are you hoping to get out of your cars? Or worded another way, what is the minimum miles you'd be satisfied with considering your maintenance program?

The Corolla has 202k miles and the Rav4 has 243k miles. Still going strong and never been in the shop except for brakes and tires and a coolant flush a couple years ago.

There's your problem... Jiffy Lube.
They'll tell you it's black and burnt even on a car without a dipstick, such as my boss' Malibu. They're retarded... No other way of saying it. That and if they don't pressure sell, they dont get to keep their job. Don't listen to them.

Quote:

Lifetime = until the warranty is up.

Doesn't his experience indicate otherwise?

Funny that the other shops told him not to change it, then it was too late to change it. I'm not sure who gave worse advice, J/L or the other shops.

"It can't hurt" to do it regularly (50-70K)

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21

They'll tell you it's black and burnt even on a car without a dipstick, such as my boss' Malibu. They're retarded... No other way of saying it. That and if they don't pressure sell, they dont get to keep their job. Don't listen to them.

One of the guys at my local JiffyLube told me stop coming there if I was only going to get my oil changed and not buy any of their other services. I was shocked. I haven't been back but I assume he's no longer employed there. Either that or he's the manager. lol.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
You could always pull some out with a Mityvac or similar & send it off to Blackstone or similar to be analyzed. 200K is a lot for any automatic transmission-if the UOA came back good I'd be afraid to change anything.

That was my plan. I have a Blackstone container but no mityvac. I might get a mityvac for my next car.

Don't forget that Mercedes had a lifetime ATF and then changed it to 4 years / 40k.

Funny how that is at the end of the warranty just as non luxury brands had theirs at 3 years / 36k, also at the end of the warranty.

Go to your toyota dealer buy 3 qts ATF and a crush washer. Undo bolt and drain ATF out. Get funnel fill in 3 full qt bottles via atf dipstick. Done. Cost: less than 25$ and thats what the dealer will do for 80$ or so. Thats what I do. I have 120k miles and I did that at 70k miles and 115k miles.

Or...

You can just leave it as is. Im sure it will be fine.

Fyi..the above 3qt is for the corolla

Do not have jiffy do a flush..i have heard bad things about flushes on these.

Last edited:
It should probably be changed every 30-60k

You also have to remember that Jiffy lube still peddles that silly 3000-mi oil change bull. They're owned by Shell.

Also, most of those places flush it with a machine which many cars don't like, and they usually end up overfilling the trans by a quart or two.

No fluid is lifetime. In my own opinion ATF should be changed every 50K max. I drain and fill my Honda every 10K / 1 year. Toyotas have pretty solid transmissions, a drain and fill every 30K would be prudent.

One of the guys at my local JiffyLube told me stop coming there if I was only going to get my oil changed and not buy any of their other services. I was shocked. I haven't been back but I assume he's no longer employed there. Either that or he's the manager. lol.

Probably because they were going to break something, so they could fix it, if you refused their other services.

Glad they're still going strong at over 200k! Testament to Toyota. But transmissions are designed for fresh fluid, so a pan drop and refill every 50k is a good idea.

"Lifetime" IMO is for people that trade in their vehicle every 3 years.

Oh, and just say "NO!" to any quicklube place.

Last edited:
Lifetime is when the powertrain warranty is up.

I'd slowly freshen up the fluid if you plan on keeping those cars. Drain/fill, wait until your next oil change, and repeat. That will have mostly new fluid in the transmissions.

With a new car, I like to drain/fill at 15k miles, and then every 30-40k miles.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21

Quoted for truth....I don't remember how I ended up at the videos but watched a few you tube videos about Jiffylube and scamming customers. Set up by a news station that install cameras and marked certain parts. Charging for transmission flush when they never touched the machine or any associated part on the car. The old marked oil filter was still installed after an oil change. Telling customers this or that manufacture recommends an engine flush while they actually state to avoid getting them. The original video was like 7 years ago, and looks like there are more videos from 2013 where they added some new scams with batteries and AC work.

Last edited:
I've heard that cars are engineered to last 150,000-180,000 miles. As the OP's experience confirmed, quality ATF/tranny combo can last for that long. Common sense tells us trannies will last even longer with clean fluid. I recently changed ATF and filter in yaris at 66,000 miles and the OEM fluid (WS) was remarkably clean and little debris in the pan. But, being a BITOGer I feel better now.

IMO....Lifetime really means the time period in which the company/entity that produced the product is in existence and a viable living company.

The problem is....Like so many things under a "lifetime Warranty" it's only good as long as the Company or entity is still using the same name and making the exact same product.

Today, so often, when items sold start to break down.....which they do....the original company is now incorporated or sold to another entity that does not honor your "lifetime warranty".

There are so many "Fly by night" companies advertising "lifetime warranty" I just laugh....many times out loud. IMO...it is borderline fraud established to give the consumer a false sense of security in buying the product or service.

I've never had a vehicle that had "lifetime" fluid. If I ever get one (I think the newer Explorers have it, and we might get one in a few months), I'll be changing the fluid every 60k anyway. Not a flush, but an exchange at the dealer. It is worth the money every four years or so to get it all exchanged in one step and if they screw it up they need to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back