GF-4/5 as a stand alone oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any oil out there that is only rated GF4/GF5 ?

i.e. no other API/ACEA ratings, just using GF4/5 as their only performance criteria ?

I can get ACEA C3 only on a bottle, B4 only on a bottle, just never seen a GF-4/5 as the sole rating for an oil.

Aren't API SM or SN ratings prerequisites in order to have GF-4 or GF-5 ratings?

In ACEA an oil can have a C or E rating without first having an A or B because all the ratings fall within ACEA's area.

With ILSAC ratings an oil must have an API rating before it can even be considered.

Hi Shannow

Yes Liqui Moly they have what ever you need about oils and additives.
the 75w-80 is GL3+ and 75w-90 GL4/5
for more information take a look at their website.

Sorry Shannow

My mistake I though its a gear oil sorry
but still take a look of liquid moly site because they have many different grades of oils.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Is there any oil out there that is only rated GF4/GF5 ?

i.e. no other API/ACEA ratings, just using GF4/5 as their only performance criteria ?

I can get ACEA C3 only on a bottle, B4 only on a bottle, just never seen a GF-4/5 as the sole rating for an oil.

A PCMO meeting ILSAC requirements meet the same requirements for the API designations with the resource conserving designation on the bottom half of the donut. So if one goes to all the trouble of meeting those requirements paying the API royalties shouldn't be a stretch. ILSAC oils are designated with the starburst mark which is licensed through the API. So you can't really have them separated in the way you describe.

It is possible to have SM/SN without the starburst and resource conserving designation, but the only major difference is the fuel economy tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back