Popup problems since downloading VLC player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep Windows updated and have the most recent version of your operating system.

Want even more advice? Get rid of Internet Explorer and install Mozilla Firefox 28. Then go into Add-Ons there and download Adblock Plus.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I don't know how many times I've mentioned this to people I know when downloading software you MUST do some research to make sure you know the site is safe and problem free.

Usually the best place to download software is from the source's site or their designated site.

Or just let your Linux package manager push updates or provide binaries for you: They would have been compiled directly from source code by a package maintainer and tested by that maintainer before even being made available for you to click a button once to install and/ or update it!

I know:
18.gif

It is just so frustrating seeing people who never asked for this kind of garbage having to deal with it. Non-technical people should not be having to spend their time with this horse-pucky.

+1 I can honestly say I don't miss having to be constantly on guard for Malware, and other unwanted goodies. Then constantly checking and un-checking boxes before installing software to avoid add-on's or PITA tool bars. The Babylon Tool Bar comes to mind I plucked that out of a lot of computers for friends, along with viruses and a lot of other unwanted [censored] over the years. Like it or not I was getting pretty good at it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
wow that's a bad site

vlcmediaplayer dot org

its bad bad bad.

badvlc.JPG

thats what I got by clicking on the download link.

you could also run a free scan with eset online scanner, make sure PUP is checked (potentially unwanted programs)

http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

The website is not bad, but the .exe that you download when you click the download link will install more than just VLC if you execute it.

Too many terrible download sites out there now. Go to the original source or use the wildly popular www.ninite.com

They remove all toolbars & crud from every installer.

Piriform's products are no longer there since they went to the dark side trying to sell Google Chrome and Google Toolbars with their software.

Neither is Adobe flash players...Adobe wants to sell you McAfee rubbish as part of the download.

Can't even trust some of the original publisher's downloads these days! Use NINITE!

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

It is just so frustrating seeing people who never asked for this kind of garbage having to deal with it. Non-technical people should not be having to spend their time with this horse-pucky.

The sad part for people who can't tell the legitimate from the malicious sites, is that those scam sites get placed very high in Google's search results. The malware folks and their clever teams can and do trick Google search any day, thus hitting innocent users every day who think that Google filters results to keep them safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back