Change frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2 vehicles (2002 Avalanche V-8, an a 4-cyl 2003 Honda Element with around 50K total miles on each). They are driven once a week each. The typical trip is 8-10 highway miles, followed by a few minutes of stop and go (3-4 traffic lights). Then we do grocery shopping for an hour. Then repeat the trip to return home (total is 30-40 miles, mostly highway).

Our yearly mileage is less than 4,000 per vehicle and usually includes a vacation trip.

My question is: what oil change frequency to use? Synth once a year with filter? Dino once a year with filter? Other?

Thanks!

Fred

That is not much driving. 11 miles a day for each car. Yep, change the oil on Jan 1 every year, you good.

Agreed, once a year is fine. You can use whichever oil is on sale at the time. I don't think either car will be terribly picky about the exact brand of oil you use.

There are plenty of good choices offered in those "$24.99 for 5 quarts and a filter" deals: Pennzoil yellow bottle, Mobil Super/5000, Valvoline white bottle, etc. Just stick with stuff that is API SN to ensure you're getting a modern formula.

Originally Posted By: frule
Thanks guys!

I'll do it yearly........with API SN oil.

Agree with using a dino and yearly OCI's. Mobil Super 5000 or PYB would be good choices.

Filter wise....the Fram ULTRA is a excellent filter and priced well at WM or Amazon. With your driving habits, you can easily use the filter through two changes (2 X 4000+ = 8000+), and change out every other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back