Sound cannons to slow down speeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm certainly no advocate for speeding (in fact I despise it), however I think that blasting drivers with an acoustic weapon is a bit much.

Missouri Sound Cannons

I can just imagine the potential litigation issues caused by hitting unsuspecting drivers, who are traveling at interstate speeds, with sound cannons. Some of them might actually drop their smart phone and have an accident while trying to pick it back up.

If it was a sound wave meant to "shake" the vehicle a bit, like a rumble strip; ok, I could see that. Sorta. But at upwards of 153dB I'm thinking this has the danger of being misused, if set loud enough to "wake up" someone in a Cadillac--and someone goes by in a droptop.

At $25k a pop I have to wonder if it'd be cheaper to buy a few extra Jersey barriers.

Of course, simply finishing the construction in a reasonable amount of time might be the best way to minimize the danger to construction personel. I've seen construction zones which last for years. I'm glad they aren't working during rush hour (which is the busiest and likely the most dangerous) but when it stretches on for years, and when you don't see someone there outside of rush hour, well, sometimes you wonder.

[A few years ago I saw VT state PD nailing people on what must have been the same day the highway got marked for construction--there were some pylons placed but not a single bit of equipment, but they were handing out the tickets left and right. Afterwards, once the equipment was out, and actual work was being done--no PD. Go figure.]

Originally Posted By: supton
Of course, simply finishing the construction in a reasonable amount of time might be the best way to minimize the danger to construction personel. I've seen construction zones which last for years. I'm glad they aren't working during rush hour (which is the busiest and likely the most dangerous) but when it stretches on for years, and when you don't see someone there outside of rush hour, well, sometimes you wonder.

+1 "Future 1-86"/Current 17 for those in NYS

Many traps to that 65mpg to 55 mph changes that came ever 5 miles.

Bad idea. I bet the taxpayers get to pick up the tab when a slick lawyer wins an abuse case involving that sound cannon and a family with small children. Sure, nothing cheaper than paying for a kid's hearing aids or cochlear implant for the rest of their life...

Or, they hit the wrong car, and send a law-abiding driver into a piece of construction equipment.

Either way, this has expensive fiasco written all over it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Bad idea. I bet the taxpayers get to pick up the tab when a slick lawyer wins an abuse case involving that sound cannon and a family with small children. Sure, nothing cheaper than paying for a kid's hearing aids or cochlear implant for the rest of their life...

Or, they hit the wrong car, and send a law-abiding driver into a piece of construction equipment.

Either way, this has expensive fiasco written all over it.

OR they blast the right car and send a non law-abiding driver into a piece of construction equipment... same result.

Boneheads

ill ask this "Q". that i often do when the government does a knee jerk reaction. WHAT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG? like a 65 year old has a hart attack?

The local PD has a portable sound blaster. It's semi-weaponized. I stood downrange from it and plugged my ears. It was loud, but not as loud as the shooting range, or jet engines I work on.

I guess it would not bother me all that much if I were inside a typical car with windows up. However, if I were in my S2000 and someone directed a 160db weaponized sound cannon at me, there'd be some fightin goin on.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Here's a question: what happens when a MOTORCYCLIST gets blasted by one of these?

Someone could get killed with this stupidity motorcyclist or not. Then what?
How stupid can they get.

Problem is that the weapon will be considered reasonable by a huge number of stupid people who think that "something needs to be done about...".

They rarely understand that their actions can have unintended, albeit obvious consequences.

Makes almost as much sense having a machine throw a brick through the windscreen

Originally Posted By: supton

[A few years ago I saw VT state PD nailing people on what must have been the same day the highway got marked for construction--there were some pylons placed but not a single bit of equipment, but they were handing out the tickets left and right. Afterwards, once the equipment was out, and actual work was being done--no PD. Go figure.]

18 months ago, they created a false road project, replete with parked machinery on the highway near here so that they could RBT, drug test, and roadside inspect every vehicle that travelled the highway for 5 days.

Can't stage an inspection station inside any zone 50MPH and above, create a road works, 25MPH limit, and pull over everything for a week.

"papers please"...frogs just don't get that they are getting boiled.

Why would citizens volunteer to live inside a Skinner Box?

Just hire a cop who has to chase you down. Sporting. Human interaction. Humane.

So the state DOT is going to physically assault members of the general public because they exceed an entirely arbitrary number painted on a sign?

I would make a police report for the assault. If the police refuse to prosecute, I would ask if I could blow an air horn in their ear.....

^ Yup, just buy your own noisemaker and when the governor does a photo op on the statehouse steps blast him and his microphones then claim 1st amendment rights.

The stupidity of government never ceases to amaze me.

Where do they come up with these people?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ Yup, just buy your own noisemaker and when the governor does a photo op on the statehouse steps blast him and his microphones then claim 1st amendment rights.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back