2006 TBSS - 7k - Mobil 1 5W-30 - Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am new here, recently discovered this site while searching for oil analysis labs. I have a 2006 Trailblazer Super Sport with 76k miles on it. It's basically stock (e-fans, muffler delete). I decided before I dropped a cam in or anything too serious, I would get an idea of how healthy the engine is through an oil analysis.

Truck is a daily driver, not really many hard miles. I expected everything to be pretty normal.

As you can see, there are some concerning results. I was shocked. I have owned the truck since nearly new (27k miles) and it has never given me any issues at all. Always Mobil 1, always a new filter, regular maintenance. Granted, this sample just happened to be a longer run than normal. 7k miles vs. a typical 5500 but I don't think that would have changed my results too much.

Blackstone recommended driving on a shorter interval and sampling again but right now, I am trying to decide if I even want to continue to drive it given the high iron content. It appears to have a leaking head gasket but I am worried this has already lead to bearing damage.

Let me know what you think.

I would pop a few Bars Leaks tablets in the cooling system and keep on trucking with the M1 - retest again in another 7k run. Flashpoint looks good. Is it using any oil in 7k miles? Keep it topped off. GM engines are known for high iron, it doesn't mean they're wearing out anytime soon.

Something's wrong.

My 2006 GTO with the same 6.0L LS2 & being Supercharged delivered me these great results:

Check it out....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2570064/Mobil_1_5w-30,_3020_Mi,_Modifi#Post2570064

Id definitely get the coolant system checked out, some pretty easy test that can tell you if you are leaking, like a pressure test.

Have you had to add any antifreeze, or checked the level to make sure its not dropping?

Mobil 1 should be able to handle a 7000 mile oci no problem, so something appears to be going on. My guess is if you caught this early enough, and get the root issue addressed ASAP no longer term damage will be done.. does your oil look like chocolate milkshake?

Last edited:
No offense but I'd get another UOA done and if similar I'd get it in myself.

I'm just curious as to why the universal averages on the right show 70ppm for copper, why would that be so high? Is that # based on engines they've tested oil for and that's the average?

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...Lead is most likely coming from the bearings.

If that's the case, how can the absence of tin be explained? Babbit bearings also contain some tin.

Thanks for the feedback all.

I currently have 3 LS2 powered rides, the SS, a GTO and a C6 Vette and have owned probably 6 or 8 LS powered vehicles and this is the first to have any sort of issues like this.

My real concern is that because I had not done an UOA before this point, I don't know when the issue began. It's hard to say how much damage has already been done
frown.gif

I always keep a close eye on the color of the oil on the way out and it was definitely not milky, not even close.

I honestly havent checked the coolant levels since before winter and all seemed normal but in looking at it now, the reservoir is low although the radiator is full.

There really is only one way for coolant to get into the oil on an LS so I guess the heads will need to come off.

Coolant can also get into the engine through the lower intake manifold I believe.

Last edited:
Not in an LSX. They are one piece composite manifolds. No coolant passes through them. Pretty much has to be a head gasket.

But there is no water in the sample. Shouldn't there be water if there is a coolant leak?
And they put a question mark for antifreeze content. That's not helpful.

Last edited:
I called them for a clarification on that after I got the report. They had said potassium only shows up from coolant but that they did not 100% identify coolant in the oil.

The truck definitely lost some out of the overflow somewhere and I have never seen it leak any...

I have filled up the coolant and am watching the oil level to see if it rises. I will change after about 3k miles and resample, see if the issue has improved or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back