Quality and reliability-wise, how do the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experiences with Dodge have all been the same; Brakes along with cosmetic features fail often. Had the radio buttons fall off the stereo in a test drive for a weekend, and both my friends have replaced their brakes within the first 2 years of ownership and they bought new. But the engines, especially the Cummins diesels are a no-brainer. I would go with Ford, Dodge, then Chevy. Can't trust GM these days.

Powertrains in most modern vehicles are very reliable, hence the 5-10 year warranties you see.

From what lawman posted, it sounds like the rest of the car hasn't quite caught up.

They are very nice looking trucks and are nicely equipped. The powertrains are excellent. One of the ones we have at work has repeatedly killed headlight bulbs which wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that the front of the truck has to come off to replace them
crazy2.gif

We've also got a newer 5.0L Ford too which has been excellent, no issues to report.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Had the radio buttons fall off the stereo in a test drive for a weekend

What year was this truck? I am trying to figure out how this is physically possible.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Had the radio buttons fall off the stereo in a test drive for a weekend

What year was this truck? I am trying to figure out how this is physically possible.

Dodge is obviously having the stereos made to their spec. Sounds like a supplier QC problem.

Wait until the Chrysler people get in this thread. You will be schooled on how Chrysler products have always been the best and most reliable ever, bar none.

Chrysler Co. made a lot of subpar vehicles for a very long time. For a while, "Ram", Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep were the lowest 4 in the JD power survey!

The biggest problem (again, the Chrysler people say there was NEVER a single bad automatic) was their extremely unreliable 4 speed automatic transmissions. They apparently gave up and are now using ZF boxes (and the 5 speed Benz transmission) - that's a good thing.

As much as I dislike Chrysler, if I were buying a brand new full size pickup, I would definitely take a good look at the "RAM" tradesman. Seems to be the most basic truck available and they have the most conservative styling.

Originally Posted By: parkertown
Ram pickups compare to the current Ford and Chevy trucks?

The price of the darn things anymore, you'd think they're all built to last forever.

The only light truck that remotely interests me lately is the Ram Tradesman, with the Pentastar 3.7L and 8spd auto.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: parkertown
Ram pickups compare to the current Ford and Chevy trucks?

The price of the darn things anymore, you'd think they're all built to last forever.

The only light truck that remotely interests me lately is the Ram Tradesman, with the Pentastar 3.7L and 8spd auto.

Are you saying that you don't need a Laramie/King Ranch/High Country model truck to ... use as a truck?

I agree completely.

Why do people that buy high end trucks get chastised while guys that buy a Porsche or a Vette are cheered? A Mustang or a Camaro would work, just like a stripped down truck, but for some reason they are held to a different standard.

Originally Posted By: whip
Why do people that buy high end trucks get chastised while guys that buy a Porsche or a Vette are cheered? A Mustang or a Camaro would work, just like a stripped down truck, but for some reason they are held to a different standard.

Couldn't agree more, this place it good for that.

No one knows why he wants the truck. I use mine to tow, an 02 with just over 35,500 miles on it. Lots of people like to judge here. Technically everyone could most likely get away with a very small 4 door car. Some people don't want to drive those. That is the beauty of having a choice.

As far as the OPs questions. All of the 1/2 ton trucks on the market are put together well and I see all types at the campgrounds. My buddy, John, just bought a 2014 Silverado with the new 4.3 LS/LT1 based motor. He got a lifetime powertrain warranty with the truck. I was impressed at how well the V6 motivated that truck along. You really can't go wrong with any 1/2 ton at the moment. I would buy the one that I felt most comfortable in, from a place that treated me right, and gave me the best deal!

In the trades in my area Chevy/GMC is the overwhelming majority in trucks and work vans. Followed by Ford, mostly 3/4 ton and up diesels.(all of which have a lot of expensive diesel problems...)

Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan all fight for I would say 10% of the trades guys. Of those Dodge's you see the vast majority are Cummins powered.

Off the top of my head, in my city I would say GM trucks has 70% of the market, Ford 20%, and the rest belongs to the other three.

Now if you look at what homeowners drive to Lowes on Saturday well that figure doesn't hold true.

Last edited:

True and I apologize if I offended anyone. I'm just going by guys I know. Most of them never tow, plow or haul anything. They've got the money to do it, so I guess why the heck not spend $45K on that giant truck and then scoff that it gets 12mpg getting them back/forth to work.

Something like a sports car, project vehicle or weekend cruiser is a different animal all together to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
They are very nice looking trucks and are nicely equipped. The powertrains are excellent. One of the ones we have at work has repeatedly killed headlight bulbs which wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that the front of the truck has to come off to replace them
crazy2.gif

We've also got a newer 5.0L Ford too which has been excellent, no issues to report.

I have heard of cars like this but I did not know there was a truck thats front end needs to come off?!?! Every vehicle should be like my 03 Yukon was....pull one pin and the assembly opens up.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
crazy2.gif

I have heard of cars like this but I did not know there was a truck thats front end needs to come off?!?! Every vehicle should be like my 03 Yukon was....pull one pin and the assembly opens up.

That's how my Expedition is, two pins pulled from the top and the whole assembly slides out.

I really like the look of the newer Rams. Very rugged looking trucks. Beefy. But....I've always been a bit reticent about Dodge/Chrysler products. Once had a Chrysler minivan I despised because of constant issues including vapor-lock. But that was a long time ago.
Isn't there any relevant reliability and customer satisfaction info out there to help answer your question?

My contractor friend has had a new Ram 3.6 with the 8 speed ZF slushbox for about a month now and is averaging 24 mpg!

A very nice fully equipped 3/4 ton PU with those kind of numbers is pretty impressive. No quality issues yet, and he hits the dump almost daily so this truck WORKS...

I hate to point this out, but a person who is in the market for a Porsche, or a Corvette, isn't the same type of buyer who would pick up a Camaro or a Mustang, unless you're talking about a pure hp junkie, and then, you're only talking about someone who's buying the very top of the line Camaro and Mustang.

In other words, someone who's thinking buying a Corvette isn't also thinking of a V-6 Camaro as an alternative.

BC.

Lipstick on a pig factor, for the pickups, everything mechanical is the same, just under more chrome and leather.
Usually with sports cars, more money buys something engineered substantially better, with more capability.
Its not my money, but I am more impressed with the mechanicals of a vehicle, than fancy seat stiching...
I can understand though, if someone has money to burn and spends alot of time in their truck, why not get the fancy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back