Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone running these?

I have H11 which limits aftermarket bulbs.

Currently powerbulbs has a twinpack for around 43$ shipped.

Despite the marketing speak, The Partial blue coating only affects certain off-axis angles.

These arent blue ricer beams.

I'm interested in feedback from anyone actually running these bulbs.

Might just pull the trigger and write up a review vs stock(h11's from 2011)

Note: I'm not interested in hacking a h9 to fit.
Although I considered it.

Last edited:
Interesting, wasn't aware they had a new version of the Nightbreaker. What's changed over the Nightbreaker Plus?

These are likely a little brighter than the Plus, and have a shorter lifespan than the Plus. Just a even more "tweaked" version of an already "tweaked" bulb.

You are right: the little blue ring doesn't influence light output as installed in a vehicle. Total output from the bulb is measured in an integrating sphere, which measures optical performance in all three dimensions. Bulbs that carry these blue rings at the bulb tips would exceed legal light limits without them. They reduce output to keep the bulb just BARELY within the legal limits, and they do so in a way that actual output from a lamp is unaffected by the ring. Light existing the front of the bulb, ahead of the filament, is not projected on the road anyway, and usually blocked by a glare shield anyway.

They're good bulbs. Will have even shorter life than most of the other high performance offerings.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
H9 bulb. either modified or replace the H11 connector with a H9 connector.

Depending on the configuration of the lamp, an H9 may or may not be an appropriate mod.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
H9 bulb. either modified or replace the H11 connector with a H9 connector.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Note: I'm not interested in hacking a h9 to fit.
Although I considered it.

besides being illegal, I'd like to be considerate to other drivers..
if only everyone else was.. Way too many ricer 100w bulbs and hid's in reflector housings here.

I may buy a set of H9's for my H9 high beams through.
DRL uses the high beams so they get a sooty look inside the bulb from the low voltage unless you run them on actual high beams for extended periods.

Last edited:
H9 retrofits generally work pretty well in projector housings. Glare is usually pretty well-controlled and while light distribution below the cutoff generally remains the same (so foreground lighting would get even brighter), the difference between H9 and H11 usually isn't so great as to put the lamp out of compliance. This is why HID retrofits don't work even in projectors. The visible cutoff remains the same, but halogen projectors concentrate a large percentage of the output towards the center to provide good down-road output. HID retrofits over-saturate those areas when retrofitted into halogen projectors.

H9 bulbs in halogen reflector housings are often not appropriate because the glare control is often not as good as it could be. If the subject vehicle has reflector housings, an H9 in the low beam is generally not a good idea. If it has projectors, they could probably be used with good optical results. Not saying that they *should*, but they often can be.

I tried H9s in my Camry's projectors one time and took them back out. The Camry's projectors have areas above the cutoff with what I call a substantial amount of light allowed (via an open "flap" in the glare shield inside the projector). This is for illumination of reflective road signs. I felt this was much too bright with H9s installed, and I found that I often had too much light reflected back at me from particularly reflective signs. In other words, I was glaring myself with them. I took them out and was happy with Sylvania Xtravision H11s.

I agree with Hokiefyd. Too much light can work against you, especially if you have a bit of moisture in the air in the form of mist, fog, rain or snow. It can become a segmented wall of light you can't see beyond effectively without tiring, which is something you do not want.

I know the OP considered and rejected the H9 mod.

But it is very much a case-by-case mod that can produce a favorable result.

Generally they tend to work out well in a projector lamp. A reflector type lamp needs more forethought, however. Correct aiming is essential.

But we have them in a Chevy truck that uses a reflector lamp design, and they work absolutely great with no dazzle or excessive glare. Only problem is the PITA replacement effort when they burn out sooner than an H11.

An H9/9011HIR combo is incredible on a dark country road . . . better than the OEM HIDs on another car we own. And safe.

If I recall from their fora, a lot of Subie owners are running the H9 mod and love them.

It's a better choice AFAIK than the aftermarket HID conversions, most of which ARE unsuitable in a halogen lamp and unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back