Oil Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering ? .. If your new car engine dies say for what ever reason throws a rod, oil pump fails or whatever how many of today's car company's will send out your oil to be analyzed? Would they bother or just ask to see how many oil changes you have had?

I've been curious about that as well.

I think of it this way; OCs are self documenting. "A reasonable person" can look @ a spotless drivetrain and determine the oil has been regularly changed. If not, that will be obvious. It has been evident by photos offered here that car engines run long past the point where OCD oil changers insist on doing an OC.

So if there is a failure, the cause must be somewhere else, that includes using improper lubricants. A test would indicate that.

I would bet (but am only guessing) that few if any dealers send out oil for a UOA. They probably go from looks. But if it gets to be problematic than the company will probably pull a sample of engines back to the factory and then do a UOA and disassemble and examine the engine to get to a root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back