General AltiMax RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed on two tire web sites that, the General AltiMax RT's, seem to have been replaced by the RT43's. On other sites, the RT's are still available. My question is:

Did the RT43's replace the standard RT's?...I don't want the RT's but, I'm just asking! I did a search and came up short handed.

I am interested though in the RT43's as their OTD price, consumer ratings and tirerack testing seem to be quite good(in the area I like tires) and better than our Hankook Optimo H727's(which have gotten quite noisy) but, served us well. I'd like to stay with the "T" speed rating though "H" is a good option.

I'd like to sell off the H727's while there is still good tread on'em(6-7/32nds) and get the RT43's as a replacement.

Members here with the new RT43's please chime in as well!

CB

Last edited:
According to this link, the RT43 replaces the RT and incorporates lots of improvements. http://www.tirereview.com/article/114534...al_altimax.aspx

I am excited about the reviews and will probably use them when my Patriot needs new tires. VERY few OEM sized 16 inch tires are available for this vehicle.

Take care everyone and enjoy the spring....finally....I heard the spring peepers yesterday!!!!! yee ha!

"At the launch event, the Altimax RT43 was compared to several competing products in a variety of track exercises, fitted to Chevrolet Cruzes in each case: against the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A in wet braking; versus the Kumho Solus KR21 in wet autocross; and against the Cooper CS4 and Hankook Optimo H727 in wet handling."

Gee... nothing like picking and choosing the battles that you know that you'll win.

Put the RT43s on my wife's Volvo XC last fall. So far, they've been great. Quiet, smooth ride. Excellent traction in rain and snow. Great performance at their price point in the market. I would buy them again.

I've never owned a set, but am looking forward to owning a car that will require a size suitable to use them
smile.gif

I just mounted mine this past Sunday on my 09 Civic. First impressions are they are very quiet a highway speeds and offer a confident feeling in the rain. My Civic is used a commuter (57 miles 1 way) 95% and I wanted something with a long tread life, I hope they stand the test of time/miles.

5055018_v17362.jpg

I have the General AltiMAX RT43 on my Forester in H rated. They were installed last year before the snow. They have handled flawlessly in any weather that I have driven in. Snow, rain and dry have been good. I would highly recommend them.

Tirerack test General AltiMAX RT43 with other Standard Touring All-Season tires, it is better than 3 others. Customer survey also has it best in that class. For T-rated Standard Touring All-Season tires I think it's the best buy now.

Recently installed the RT43's on our Previa van. Very quiet and comfortable riding tire. Dry/wet traction seem to be fine. I like these tires and have no regrets at all w/purchase. We used General RT's/HP's in the past and they have proven to be very good tires.

The tirerack recomends agains this tire(RT43) for our Mazda3 as the car originaly had "H" speed rated tires OE. And in the size we need(205-55-16) only come is "T" speed rated.
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I just mounted mine this past Sunday on my 09 Civic. First impressions are they are very quiet a highway speeds and offer a confident feeling in the rain. My Civic is used a commuter (57 miles 1 way) 95% and I wanted something with a long tread life, I hope they stand the test of time/miles.

5055018_v17362.jpg

1foxracing,
What size do you have?

And, how is the stance/look of the tire viewing them stratight on? Are the decently beefy?

Have the effected the fuel economy in any way?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
And, how is the stance/look of the tire viewing them stratight on? Are the decently beefy?

Size is Stock for my LX Civic 205/55R-16 T speed rating.
Stance? I could care less, my car is a commuter. For the week they have been mounted mileage has remained 38.4 MPG.

Looking to put these on an 07 Civic. Discount Tire - at least around here - doesn't sell them. With persuasion, they can probably get them, but then there goes a good deal. Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing

Size is Stock for my LX Civic 205/55R-16 T speed rating.
Stance? I could care less, my car is a commuter. For the week they have been mounted mileage has remained 38.4 MPG.

Maybe you could care less... but the person who asked the question is obviously interested in your opinion.

I answered the OP by PM. When someone mentions "stance" I automatically think of the ricer/tuner crowd. I would always pick function over form.
I realize Civic's are very popular for customization but I didn't purchase the new wheels and tires for appearance purposes. Last fall I took my stock steel wheels and had winter tires mounted and I just wanted a 2nd set for the fair weather season. I did purchase TPMS sensors for the new wheels ( and the tool to program them to the ECU) as well because I like that feature.
My requirements for tires are pretty simple.
Quiet
Black
Hold air
more then 50,000 miles tread life( not for winter treads though)
Performance, Stance, Bling are all non factors for me. I have a garage full of motorcycles for when I want performance.

Shhhhh....we need to stop writing praises of them, or they will raise the price. It's typically near the bottom end of price, but rated tops in it's category.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Had the RT43's installed today on my 2005 Caravan. Put 100 mi. on them and they ride nice.

I hope that the RT43's don't turn into the Kumho Solus KR-21's in terms of...

...great out of the box but wearout by 35-40 K miles and become difficult to live with(not for all owners). Cheap to buy new which make'em a great value to start with but difficult to live with.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Had the RT43's installed today on my 2005 Caravan. Put 100 mi. on them and they ride nice.

I hope that the RT43's don't turn into the Kumho Solus KR-21's in terms of...

...great out of the box but wearout by 35-40 K miles and become difficult to live with(not for all owners). Cheap to buy new which make'em a great value to start with but difficult to live with.

Thanks for putting that in my head, and to think I was happy go lucky.....geezzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back