Want new NYS plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have the 'new' Empire Gold plates on my Accord.

For some reason or another, someone tried like [censored] to rip the plates off of my car. They are now bent, creased and all sorts of twisted; this on top of the fact that they're delaminating.

I read on the oh so clear NYS DMV site that yes I can get new plates for $25. I'm OK with paying for it, I don't want the Accord having plates that make it look like a pile of garbage.

They want me to fill out the MV-82 form. I'd prefer to fill this all out ahead of time to maybe get into the express lane at the DMV. Only thing is that I'm confused by filling it out. No where does it say replace 'damaged documents', only Lost. Am I to assume this would encompass my transaction as well?

yTqPwFy.jpg

So I'm guessing the process goes, walk in with old plates and form filled out, pay clerk $$$, get new plates and new window registration sticker, walk out?

Thank you.

Be careful, the NYS DMV has a tendency to mix up plates. Hate for you to walkout with someone else's vanity plates by mistake.

Originally Posted By: redhat
LOL that was a funny Seinfeld episode. I am THE @SSMAN!

That was one of my favorite episodes ever. I miss those Liberty plates, they were my favorite New York plate.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just walk in there and say someone stole your plate and throw your old one away.

Noooooooo...you save the old ones for your collection on the wall of your garage!

Maybe that's just me.

Don't they have an "info guy" in a kiosk there?

Fill out your name, address, VIN etc ahead of time, comrade. Check off what you check off when you're there.

Lose them and get new ones (if you wish), they don't care as long as they get their $$$.

DMV office near me has an info kiosk that processes everybody's questions before they get sent to the various counters to fill out the form. Never hurts to ask a question.

True story that was reported in the Dallas Morning News: In the late 80s or early 90s, the state of Texas issued 100 license plates that had the letters F*A*T on the tag. Within a year, over 40 of those plates became "lost" and those 40 owners requested a replacement.
The newspaper did not say if the owners who requested new plates were male or female.

I don't understand why they want you to fill out that form, it's for registrations/titles not license plates. Years ago, when I was living in CT, I filled out a specific form for a replacement plate after my plate got damaged.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
I don't understand why they want you to fill out that form, it's for registrations/titles not license plates. Years ago, when I was living in CT, I filled out a specific form for a replacement plate after my plate got damaged.

Exactly my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just walk in there and say someone stole your plate and throw your old one away.

Nononono. In New york, you have to return the old plates if you get new plates, or de-register the vehicle. If you don't, you get charged a per-day fee until you do.

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean. Eh, you should be able to get new ones without doing that. @OP: I'd just put "lost" Or ask the guys at the DMV.

Last edited:
redhat: PLEASE remember to scare up this thread and post what you had to do.

MY GUSSES: If you claim your plates were stolen they'll just list your license plate with the police and issue you new plates.

If they remake you 1 or both plates, I'd bet there'll be a wait involved. For that reason I'd guess they'll, again, issue you new plates. It's more expedient that way.

Maybe, if you report the vandalism to the police and have the report in hand, that might bump you to the VIP line and get you service we can only dream about. Kira

Meh the plates are the governments problem, bang them flat on concrete and stick them back on. I refuse to spend 1 extra cent at the DMV.

How often is NY changing plate design? Might only need to wait a year or two.

I'd just bang them out. License plates are kinda ugly. Sometimes I wish I lived in a state where I didn't need a front plate.

That's the correct form. The instructions from NY DMV state you don't need to pay if your plate was stolen. Too bad someone stole your plate.

I went to the DMV today with the form filled out (and the 'lost' box checked).

I turned in both plates. Sure, I could have probably kept one plate home and got a new set for free and kept a plate for my wall. Dilemma was that I drove the Accord to the DMV then took the plates off (didn't have another vehicle to drive). I'm paranoid and feel that I'd be on camera stashing one plate and lying about having one stolen. So for my anxiety and moral sake, I surrendered both and paid the fee for new plates.

A lot of you have expressed little interest in keeping a plate nice. I respect that. I personally could care less about the plate's condition in regards to the DMV/governmental opinion, but I prefer to have a plate that isn't bent and looks OK (trust me I don't wax or maintain my license plate, LOL) because IMO a beat-up/bent plate makes a vehicle look like bag of [censored]. Going through the detailing process for a day or two and all I'll see is the elephant in the room eyesore license plate.

Some may think I'm picky but I'm sorry I'm particular.

As to answer the security question, I have these screws on my plates.

http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20Plate%20Keeper.html

Me thinks someone showed up with a socket/wrench and flat head and then noticed I had these screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back