Volvo owners with etm throttle body advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so here's the story.

My cousin bought a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 with around 215,000 miles on it, of course without consulting anyone or having anyone else look at it before doing so.

I guess it ran marginally ok when they got but eventually got worse.

At first i ran the codes and it had 9 stored faults pointing mainly towards a downstream o2 sensor.

I'm a heavy truck mechanic and I fix/maintain my own vehicles along with my families vehicles but i've never messed with a volvo.

anyways after changing the sensor it didn't make a bit of difference. so i consulted the internet about what it was doing and watched a few youtube vids to find out about the infamous Electronic Throttle Module issues.

its doing exacly that, the throttle does nothing until the car has been running long enough to go into limp mode and then will only go around 15 to 20 mph. i already cleaned it and sometimes that will help but it didn't help at all so i'm lead to believe that the copper strip contacts are worn out completely.

I guess the next step is to find another etm or repair the one thats on it.

I've found that you can buy the contactless TPS sensor kit to install on the ETM to solve the issue.

I guess i would like to know if any volvo owners have done so and had good results? the kit is around 150 bucks compared to getting a rebuilt etm thats in the 500 dollar range and then has to be programmed to the ecm.

what a headache....

volvo owners have truly excellent internet support groups. I like brickboard the best, and it is divided into 200, 120s, AWD, etc. Turbobricks is also good, as is Matthews volvo site. Check the IPD site, eeuroparts, FCP Groton, and Tasca Volvo dealer. IPD in particular sometimes has fix kits for certain problems. Takes a little reading but there is LOTS of support.

I'd start with the TPS sensor before investing in the entire assembly, provided you are getting supporting trouble codes. Not an uncommon problem.

Just curious, but what were the other codes?

At 200k, the O2s are just about done anyway if still original.

Don't fret. It's a very solid car unless severely abused, and 215k is not too much on one.

As the other poster mentioned, there is a very capable enthusiast community for support. Grab a copy of VADIS or VEDA if you plan on keeping it long-term.

IPD is best for unusual or special parts and tools, but FCP Groton/Euro still has the best prices on garden-variety parts on these.

Been there, done that...2000 S80, throttle body. Your time and mileage are definitely outside of the recall period that Volvo allowed for the TB repair/replace. Even at that you had to have, I believe, three or more different symptoms to qualify. It is a $700-900.00 repair at the dealer. Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the problem is the TB. If it is continue to read.

I did my daughter's S80 for about $550-600.00. What you need to do is find the name of a Canadian firm that rebuilds the TB and with your VIN, pre-programs it so it will be a plug and play. I'm sorry, but that car is gone now and so are the records. The core charge is about $100.00 and all the shipping labels, etc. are provided. I had mine delivered to Milwaukee in about 5 days after ordering. The actual swap of the TB was 45 minutes tops.

Good luck. Questions, send me a PM.

ok well its not my car so it depends on her cash-flow on whats to be done with it.

I've looked at the reman option where you can either purchase a pre-programmed reman or send the old one in and have it rebuilt so it can just be put back on with no programming.

it bit pricey either way.

another option i found was a place out of california that will rebuild the old one for 250 bucks plus shipping.

i'm waiting for a response from them to see if they are still doing this.

either way its a glorified paper weight as it is if it doesn't get fixed. its in good shape other wise but needs tires.

i really wish they would have let me or someone look at it before they bought it seeing how its already needed work and will need a set of tires pretty much asap.

I've already taken the throttle module out and cleaned it and put it back in to see if it would help and it didn't even take an hour, and now that i know how to do it, shouldn't take me 30 min.

Hello, I read the Volvo boards alot and the Canadian company mentioned is named Xemodex. They have an address in Colorado too. They replace the mylar wiper in your ETM with a contactless one.
Also, Volvo has a download which places the wiper on a different part of the mylar film to extend the original's useable life. How well it works would have to be seen practically.
I have heard that the download was distributed free by Volvo dealers.
Take your VIN to a dealer and ask if the ETM download has been done.

While I've read tons about the ETM (Electric Throttle Module) I've only seen the TPS mentioned once or twice. That is not to say her's can't be bad-I just don't know a thing about them. The TPS could be part of a rebuild for all I know.

Also, at the same time ask which TCM (Transmission Control Module) downloads have been done. I had a $30 download done to my trannie when first I bought it (w/70K) and it helped noticeably.

Also, IIFC, the 2001 has the 5 speed transmission. Tell the owner to do drain and fills or a cooler line pump-out to clean the fluid. The advice that the fluid is lifetime is stoned nonsense. Any fluid which has a JWS3309, Toyota T-IV etc. is OK to use. Both Amalie and Wolf's Head synthetic fluids are OK. I've used them for years and we have 4 of these trannies in the family. 24mm wrench-18mm aluminum crush washer.

MORE? PM me. Kira God, why'd she buy a T5? ...someone else's old mussel car. K

Kira is right. On every point. Including the tranny part.

TPS is part of the ETM. A VIDA/Dice setup can check resistance vs. opening angle, but given the mileage and your description, that will only confirm the conclusion that the ETM is shot. Xemodex is the fix. 1/2 the cost of replacement ETM.

I have some experience with this chassis/tranny. Left some notes on this forum: www.volvoxc.com - http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/2002-V70-XC-Valve-Body-Replacement-Notes.pdf

while not specific to her car, the resources section is good...

If it's leaking oil everywhere (and it likely is) then your first step should be a complete flame trap replacement...

Last edited:
I don't believe the T6 has a flame trap.

Still, I would be interested in seeing the codes before just throwing parts at it.

Even a rebuilt ETM is not cheap, and if they don't offer an exchange program, you'll be waiting on it. All the more fun if it turns out not to be the problem.

Check the owners booklet for dealer service stamps. Anything later than '05-'06 and the software is likely not the problem.

If you have a friendly nearby indy, ask if they'll run it through a scan for a small fee. Using even an older Volvo setup should narrow it down in about 30 seconds.

Pretty sure the T6 does have a flame trap...in fact, it's almost identical to the I5 engines...

http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?CAT_ID=1067&numRecordPosition=0&categorycrumbs=986

Still, the ETM is expensive. I agree that it should be checked. I once, in a rush, didn't hook up the ETM after some work that involved removing it...the connector plug was dangling. Car ran exactly as described above. Even with a MAF failure (common after 100K), the car runs in limp mode and will get up to 4,000 RPM...but with the ETM unplugged, it's doing nothing...just like this car...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I read the Volvo boards alot and the Canadian company mentioned is named Xemodex. They have an address in Colorado too. They replace the mylar wiper in your ETM with a contactless one.
Also, Volvo has a download which places the wiper on a different part of the mylar film to extend the original's useable life. How well it works would have to be seen practically.
I have heard that the download was distributed free by Volvo dealers.
Take your VIN to a dealer and ask if the ETM download has been done.

While I've read tons about the ETM (Electric Throttle Module) I've only seen the TPS mentioned once or twice. That is not to say her's can't be bad-I just don't know a thing about them. The TPS could be part of a rebuild for all I know.

Also, at the same time ask which TCM (Transmission Control Module) downloads have been done. I had a $30 download done to my trannie when first I bought it (w/70K) and it helped noticeably.

Also, IIFC, the 2001 has the 5 speed transmission. Tell the owner to do drain and fills or a cooler line pump-out to clean the fluid. The advice that the fluid is lifetime is stoned nonsense. Any fluid which has a JWS3309, Toyota T-IV etc. is OK to use. Both Amalie and Wolf's Head synthetic fluids are OK. I've used them for years and we have 4 of these trannies in the family. 24mm wrench-18mm aluminum crush washer.

MORE? PM me. Kira God, why'd she buy a T5? ...someone else's old mussel car. K

^ THIS ^

Also, to note, when I did my 2000 S80 it showed the symptom of low and eventually no power while accelerating-cruising (TPS), but it DID NOT throw a code for that particular issue. It was odd but the Xymodex route was almost like a new car.

Also bought a Xemodex reman ETM for a 2000 Volvo S70. We have since sold the car, but it worked perfectly. The new owner is a co-worker. No trouble with the ETM.

ETM won't throw codes on a generic OBD II reader. You need a VIDA/DICE set up to diagnose a Volvo specific problem like this. Good Volvo indies will have it as will dealer.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
ETM won't throw codes on a generic OBD II reader. You need a VIDA/DICE set up to diagnose a Volvo specific problem like this. Good Volvo indies will have it as will dealer.

Yup, for a lot of Volvo problems you need a dealer level scan tool. I never had any issues with the ETM on my 04 R car. When I replaced the flame trap, I took it off and cleaned it up and the car ran noticeably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back