DSG Fluid Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're planning a DSG trans change via the top-fill method. Really don't want to stand the vehicle on four corners, and it's not needed on a top-fill. But it seems everyone drains them level, perhaps in blind deference to the standard snorkel fill.

Has anyone had any success doing these front ramped for the drain, and just dropping in the 4.6 L on the fill? We'll be measuring the drain out, but that's no help if an incline throws off the projected drain amount. FWIW, these boxes have a +/- 0.2 L fill tolerance.

What kind of car is this? Every manufacturer seems to have a slightly different process for changing the fluid, and some are very complex.

VW 6-speed wet clutch DSG?

The drain procedure removes the snorkel, so it should not make any difference is the car is level or not. The top fill method has been used with much success by many.

Measure the drained fluid, should be very close to 4.5L. Many just add another 100mL to account for the filter volume.

Which fluid are you planning to use? OEM?

Originally Posted By: chrome
VW 6-speed wet clutch DSG?

The drain procedure removes the snorkel, so it should not make any difference is the car is level or not. The top fill method has been used with much success by many.

Measure the drained fluid, should be very close to 4.5L. Many just add another 100mL to account for the filter volume.

Which fluid are you planning to use? OEM?

Yes, this is a VW DSG.

I'm not so much concerned about the bottom sump charge, but whether being off-level might cause unintended passage and valve drainout. I guess either way, we can measure and fill, as long as it stays under 5L. Even though we have VAG-COM and can temp level it, the snorkel method is messy and wasteful at $18-20/L for the fluid.

We'll be using OE or Pentosin juice. Probably the former.

The field reports on these boxes have been pretty good, even at extended/excessive drain intervals. VAG got comfortable enough to extend the warranty to 100k on them. But I like to see no longer than 35k between changes to give the tranny a fighting chance to keep up with the diesel's longevity.

I considered removing the belly plate and just reaching under with the tires on garage floor, but I'm getting too old for the long-reach from the side stuff, even with my very long arms.

I just see no reason in handing the VW dealer $300-450 to break the filter box and battery tray doing this job.

Thanks for the responses from all.

In VWs instructions, getting the trans to 35-45 degrees (celcius)then allowing the overflow out of the drain level insert is the method recommended.

Is this really necessary if the tolerance is +- 200ml?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back