Anyone ever been turned away from a

Status
Not open for further replies.
quick lube place? I went to my local quick lube the other day to have the oil changed on my 20 year old Silverado 4x4. Last time the oil was changed was Oct 2012. Truck has only had 1700 miles put on it in that time. The guy looked at the last change sticker and said it didn't need changing. Then he pulled the dipstick and saw that the oil still looked like new, though it was 1/2 qt low. He said he would change it for me if I insisted, but that it would be a waste of money. He even grabbed an open bottle of the oil I use and added the half qt (for free). I decided to wait because he was so insistent. This wasn't some teenage employee either. It was the owner I was dealing with. Anyone ever have this happen top them?

The guy is being honest, and likely hoping that you will remember that when it is time for other vehicles you own to really need a change, of course it doesn't hurt that you might tell friends and neighbors about his honestly as well.

If it hadnt been changed for 1.5 years... I would have changed it at any mileage.

Originally Posted By: parkertown
quick lube place? I went to my local quick lube the other day to have the oil changed on my 20 year old Silverado 4x4. Last time the oil was changed was Oct 2012. Truck has only had 1700 miles put on it in that time. The guy looked at the last change sticker and said it didn't need changing. Then he pulled the dipstick and saw that the oil still looked like new, though it was 1/2 qt low. He said he would change it for me if I insisted, but that it would be a waste of money. He even grabbed an open bottle of the oil I use and added the half qt (for free). I decided to wait because he was so insistent. This wasn't some teenage employee either. It was the owner I was dealing with. Anyone ever have this happen top them?

The oil DOES need to be changed. At least the guy was trying to do the right thing, if he KNEW how long it was in there he might of thought different.

From the dealer, yes.

I took someone's Civic into the dealer and the first thing that the service writer did, was check the percentage remaining on the OLM.

He said that it did not need to be serviced until 15% remaining (it had 40% at the time).

Originally Posted By: gregk24

The oil DOES need to be changed. At least the guy was trying to do the right thing, if he KNEW how long it was in there he might of thought different.

If the vehicle is not in severe service use it could easily go for at least another year.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

He did know how long it had been in there. I have had the oil in all my vehicles changed at his place for years. They are all in his computer. This truck doesn't see severe service, and he knows that too. I just thought this was rather unique given the bad rap most quick lube places get tagged with.

So, I have been trying to figure out if I really need to change the oil in my classic car that only gets driven in the summer for about 1000 to 1500 miles per year, on an annual basis like I have been doing or could go 2 years? I have always been a little leery of leaving used (although only very little) oil in the engine with the possible acids etc. while stored for 6 months. Am I being overly cautious?

Had the same thing with my tranny oil. It was 6 years after I got it new and wanted it replace, the shop manager said its good for 100k miles. I said my car is 6 years old. He wouldn't do it.

I'd probably have had it changed, although there are multi-year UOAs of low use vehicles that make the decision to let it go look reasonable.
Kudos to the quick lube guy for being honest and actually trying to take care of his customer.
Use his service exclusively and share your positive experience with this business with all of your friends and relatives.
This guy deserves their business.

Me,no, but a friend of my Mom's did. She has a Camry and took it to the dealer she uses for an oil change. He checked the records and said that she was just there recently and the car didn't need servicing. She was somewhat insistant and finally he told her she'd be wasting her money with a change that day, and if she really wanted to spend it, go somewhere and have a nice lunch.

Check that, I just remembered I was sort-of turned away. I had the Dakota at the dealer's for some service and wanted them to flush the cooling system since I was already there. The advisor checked the records and said that I had it done there in 2011, and since they used Chrysler G-05 coolant (or whatever their 5-year spec coolant was), I didn't need to flush it again until 2016.

Hes shying away from liability. I do it all the time if the oil is low or sludged.

Plenty of uoas prove oil doesn't age. 3 years with low mileage unless you have a reason to suspect contamination. I noticed TAN go up somewhere between 3-4 years in the uoas I've browsed. I've spent lots of time looking at them. If only everyone got TBN and TAN it would make it easier to show but not all get TAN from Blackstone due to higher cost.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Plenty of uoas prove oil doesn't age. 3 years with low mileage unless you have a reason to suspect contamination. I noticed TAN go up somewhere between 3-4 years in the uoas I've browsed. I've spent lots of time looking at them. If only everyone got TBN and TAN it would make it easier to show but not all get TAN from Blackstone due to higher cost.

Well said.
Even black stone writes on their used oil analysis that oil can't tell time and to change based on miles and not time.

I was turned away once. New to me S10. Wanted to get a quick oil change. Guy told me it was leaking--badly. Showed me, and indeed the rear main was blown. He topped it off for me, for free. Which was rather nice of him; I left mad, but mad at myself for missing this crucial detail when I bought the truck.

[Wound up repairing the seal myself. Used the truck for the summer, sold it for more than I paid for it. Not a bad deal.]

Wow. The fact that he did not try and sell you a motor flush, injector cleaning, rad flush and tranny fluid change, plus air filter is really , ummmmm, unique. I know people who will not go to a quick lube place because their last oil change cost them hundreds of $$$. Just say no thank you...!

It is uncommon to find someone in the auto service industry that does not have $$$ in their eyes. The good shops I deal with know they will make far more in the next 10 visits being honest, than they ever would in scamming someone one time...

Originally Posted By: old1
So, I have been trying to figure out if I really need to change the oil in my classic car that only gets driven in the summer for about 1000 to 1500 miles per year, on an annual basis like I have been doing or could go 2 years? I have always been a little leery of leaving used (although only very little) oil in the engine with the possible acids etc. while stored for 6 months. Am I being overly cautious?

Carb'd and driven lightly alot too I'd guess? You might end up with bit of fuel in there too. Probably a change is just cheap insurance and gets you under there to see what else is going on.

Back in the early 90's my college roommate brought his '69 GTO convertible to the local dealership for a tune up.

When he got back he told me they only charged him $38 for points, condenser and a fuel filter.

They told him his plugs and filters were fine.

shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back