Honda Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 09 Civic with 65k has extremely dark PSF. I "flushed" it at 40k miles with OEM Honda PSF. Using the baster method repeatedly removing all fluid from reservoir and refilling then cranking the steering wheel back and forth ten times while the car was running and on jackstands until the fluid was clear.

It looks like $#!* now.

So, I am going to do the same technique with new PSF. What PSF would you use? Is there a Honda rated PSF that is of better quality than the OEM Honda PSF? I will use the best available Honda specced stuff I can find.

In my experience with GM vehicles, the OEM fluid (different than yours) turns BLACK, presumably from some interation with the rubber hoses. I found that Prestone fluid will stay clear to a very light brown in all the GM systems I have tried it in. So I would definitely look around at different brands of Honda apporved fluids. Try a Pep Boys or similar store and see what is available.

Do not veer away from OEM fluids in a Honda. I have worked on a lot of Honda's back home in Europe and other than engine oil, every other fluid in the car/SUV must be OEM.

Power Steering fluid, Coolant, MTF, ATF and DPF fluids must all be OEM. Don't worry about the color of your PS fluid, change it again in 20,000 miles if you're worried about it. That's one of the main reasons as to why Honda's as so reliable.

My CRV is a 2006 and I did all the fluids again recently at 120,000 and the PS fluid was dark after I did it. I will do it again at 140k. Keep on driving your Honda it's way more reliable than most if not every car out there now. They make the finest naturally aspirated engine in the world and I am a German car nut!

Last edited:
Yeah I would stick with the OEM Honda stuff. Do the turkey baster method more often..using the turkey baster method doesnt get all the fluid out so unless you do a real flush it wont stay clear for long because its mixing with the older fluid. Personally I would just do the baster method every oil change. It takes only a few mins and wont add much cost.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Personally I would just do the baster method every oil change. It takes only a few mins and wont add much cost.
This and Honda OEM only.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have access to them but, I have used both Bardahl and Kleen-flo for Honda/Acura PSF several times without any issues. They are both clear and claim to be suitable for use in Honda/Acura applications. Read the labels.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
So, I am going to do the same technique with new PSF. What PSF would you use? Is there a Honda rated PSF that is of better quality than the OEM Honda PSF? I will use the best available Honda specced stuff I can find.

The dark color is no problem. You've got fresh fluid which is removing whatever undissolved material fell out of suspension when the old fluid maxed out.

Just plan on regular changes going forward.

The Honda OEM ps fluid is always good. There are some aftermarket brands - Prestone, Pyroil, and so on - which are spec'd to the Accura/Honda power steering but I have no experience with them.

Hello, Add me to the list of people who recommend sticking with Honda P/S fluid.
I've been "turkey basterring" my brother's '07 Odyssey P/S res with Honda's own for years now. Not a peep out of his system.

Make this one a no-brainer. Use it to find sources of Honda fluid on Amazon or make friends with Honda parts counter guys. It's good to meet new people.

Seek substitutes anywhere else. Kira

I use BG semi synthetic power steering fluid in a 09' Honda accord. Works fine.

I also use Amsoil Trans fluid in it. Shifts great and no problems

Generally, as long as the major brand you use clearly states for use in Honda PS systems you are fine.

The key with Honda vehicles is to make sure that any fluid you use is designed to meet Honda specifications, and that the product is a major well known brand that will stand behind their product and have tested it to know with certainty that is will perform well and not cause any extra wear or damage.

That being said you may experience small characteristics that are different from the Honda OEM product, but it won't be a great difference and most importantly it will not damage the vehicle systems.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Agree, Honda OEM PS fluid is the way to go . Engine oil and Trans you can deviate a little bit.

There, fixed it for you. But seriously Honda Genuine OEM is the way to go for power steering fluid. I just bought 4 bottles of it at the dealer and have been sucking and refilling the reservoir with a turkey baster about every 2 weeks. The fluid is getting less dark every time. Also, it doesn't take long for this fluid to get dark as you have already mentioned.

I've been using Redline PSF in my '00 Acura 3.2TL for years and never had a problem.

OT: I've used Amsoil ATF for years and am currently using Mobil 1 ATF in the transaxle of the Acura (the notoriously troublesome 5 spd auto) as well. I just bought a case (12 qts) of CAM2 Full Synthetic ATF that I'll start using at my next oil change. 179,000 miles on the original transaxle and still going strong...

I buy Prestone power steering fluid for Acura/Honda at Walmart. I've been doing the baster method for years and never had a power steering issue. Who knows if it's as good as OEM but I have had great luck so far.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
I've been using Redline PSF in my '00 Acura 3.2TL for years and never had a problem.

OT: I've used Amsoil ATF for years and am currently using Mobil 1 ATF in the transaxle of the Acura (the notoriously troublesome 5 spd auto) as well. I just bought a case (12 qts) of CAM2 Full Synthetic ATF that I'll start using at my next oil change. 179,000 miles on the original transaxle and still going strong...

Thats pretty good! How often do you change it though?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

How often do you change it though?

For the first couple years I've owned the car (bought in '02) I did an ATF d&f (~2.8 qts) once a year. More recently (the last two or so years) I've been doing an ATF d&f at each oil change, and I do 2 oil changes per year.

I do the PSF d&f once a year (about a pint I think although I've never actually measured it).

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Lucas synthetic Power Steering fluid in all my vehicles. Very good stuff...

Yes but do you run it in a Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back