The old days of BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I have seen some older posts here on BITOG where people recommend thick diesel oil in a standard car, pretty funny actually. Wasn't the mindset back then that since a motor is older you need thicker oil? And to use 3k mile OCI? Also that 153k miles is considered high mileage Lol. If we could go back in time and tell everyone 10+ years ago that most cars in the future will call for 0w20 they'd probably have a heart attack.

Anybody else have some funny old posts they wanna share?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93472

I'm never an advocate of unnecessary thick oil on NA automobile applications to begin with, and never shall I be even to this day.

Yes, I agree that motor oil has come leap years ahead (with now ILSAC GF5/API SN) when compared to API SF days when I first into automobile servicing.

Also: conventional oil blends are now typically Gp2+ with various different Gp 3 or higher blends into the mix to achieve the desired end results (in order to pass various certifications and more)....I no longer feel that there's the need of full syn oil in general purpose/utilitarian mass production automobiles...just stick with whatever brand name motor oil and it will last a long, long, long time.

Q.

When did slicing open oil filters become a fad? I mean, if you cut one open , are you looking for a piston, cam shaft, or a engine crank to be in there,,,I know, thats a stupid statement, but ,,what are we looking for in there anyway?

oh, and we are still asking questions about STP,,,hmmm

Things change.

Back when I worked at a service station (late '70s) 10W-40 was the "premium" oil. That was the popular oil, the one everyone pushed. I guess the thinking was that a thicker oil provided a better "cushion".

I once tried straight SAE30 in my car. The day I couldn't start it because the oil was too thick, was the day I realized that was too much.

I did tend to run heavier oils 10+ years ago, 10W-30 where 5W-30 was more the recommended oil. These days I just run what the manufacturer recommends, 5W-30 in one and 5W-20 in the other.

As far as cutting apart oil filters, curiosity. Ten years before BITOG, I cut apart a bunch of oil filters to see how they were constructed. That little informal examination lead me away from using one brand of oil filter in particular.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
When did slicing open oil filters become a fad? I mean, if you cut one open , are you looking for a piston, cam shaft, or a engine crank to be in there,,,I know, thats a stupid statement, but ,,what are we looking for in there anyway?

I've never cut an oil filter open and likely never will. Really, I can make enough mess with an intact oil filter, let alone a dissected one. However, I am extremely grateful to every person here who cuts open an oil filter for us to see.

oh, and we are still asking questions about STP,,,hmmm

I've only cut open my oil filter once, and that was because the drain pan looked like glitter after draining. Nothing in the oil filter though. I believe the previous owner used some stop leak stuff because he said it started to leak oil a few weeks before I bought it. It's just a drip from the oil pan gasket that I'll get to eventually.

I've never cut open a filter. But now all my vehicles allow easy inspection of the cartridge. Will say that until I started reading threads about cutting open filters I would never think to actually inspect the cartridge for junk.

The only thing worse then cutting open a messy oil filter, is when you run over your plastic oil drain pan and coat your car in good old messy oil,,it looks real good all over you wheel,tire and fender.. I got straight A's in that area...

There's a couple of bad apples on this board but I don't let them bother me. Like water off a duck's back.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's a couple of bad apples on this board but I don't let them bother me. Like water off a duck's back.
grin2.gif

I don't let myself bother me either. Not too much anyhow. Plus people can always drop me onto their ignore list.
whistle.gif
wink.gif

When did slicing open oil filters become a fad?

It did when I talked to a low-information neckbeard at the local oil aisle. He was looking for a straight 40-weight to put into his 2.7 Chrysler motor since it had some kind of rattle. He mentioned looking at the filter and seeing all kinds of crud, and I asked him if he cut open the filter - he did! With shears or something.

So if neckbeards are cutting open filters then the trend has definitely jumped the shark, and it isn't cool anymore.
whistle.gif

I would venture to say that 10 years ago, BITOG was actually more technical than it is now. I'm not sure I remember everyone plugging the super thick oil for old engines unless it was for burning, or 3k changes (maybe for dino).

I first extended my syn OCI's out to 8k rather than 3k because of BITOG back in '03.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have seen some older posts here on BITOG where people recommend thick diesel oil in a standard car, pretty funny actually. Wasn't the mindset back then that since a motor is older you need thicker oil? And to use 3k mile OCI? Also that 153k miles is considered high mileage Lol. If we could go back in time and tell everyone 10+ years ago that most cars in the future will call for 0w20 they'd probably have a heart attack.

Oh, this hurts as I go way back on BITOG, member # 72!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back