HRS Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone heard of this brand?

They currently have 10/40 "full synthetic" motor oil for 96 NTD (3.19 USD) a litre on offer at RT-Mart here in Taiwan. That's comparable to, in fact slightly less than, the retail price of the cheapest mineral oil, so while I don't think synthetics are generally worth their price-premium (to me), in this case there isn't one.

I suppose one might expect synthetic oil to become relatively cheaper, as crude gets more expensive.

OTOH, I hadn't heard of the brand. According to the GF, the Chinese blurb on the bottle says its made in Italy and packaged in Taiwan.

Websearch on "HRS Oil" turns up a few refs to a hot recycled shale process, probably unconnected.

You realize "full synthetic" is made from highly refined mineral oil don't you?
If the price is to good to be true then it generally is

Originally Posted By: SXE10

No, I didn't realize ""full synthetic" is made from highly refined mineral oil", because it isn't.

I understand, however, that in the United States its legal to describe highly refined mineral oil as "full synthetic" for marketing purposes, not exactly the same thing.

Even if it were true, as the price of crude stocks rise, then the add-on cost of creating synthetic oil (however this is defined/achieved) is likely to form a lower proportion of the total.

If its made from gas that was formerly "flared off into the desert sky" as someone rather poetically wrote on here recently, that's potentially even more true.

I dunno if the price is too good to be true. That's what I'd like to find out.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: SXE10

No, I didn't realize ""full synthetic" is made from highly refined mineral oil", because it isn't.

I understand, however, that in the United States its legal to describe highly refined mineral oil as "full synthetic" for marketing purposes, not exactly the same thing.

Even if it were true, as the price of crude stocks rise, then the add-on cost of creating synthetic oil (however this is defined/achieved) is likely to form a lower proportion of the total.

If its made from gas that was formerly "flared off into the desert sky" as someone rather poetically wrote on here recently, that's potentially even more true.

I dunno if the price is too good to be true. That's what I'd like to find out.

Actually, only in Germany it is illegal to advertise Hydro-cracked oil as "Full Synthetic." In other countries, including Taiwan, you can sell HC as full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

In other countries, including Taiwan, you can sell HC as full synthetic.

Didn't say you couldn't (since I don't know, though my impression is that the packaging here avoids such claims).

I said that fully synthetic oil wasn't the same thing as highly refined mineral oil.

Because it isn't.

Which is in any case largely irrelevant to my original question.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

In other countries, including Taiwan, you can sell HC as full synthetic.

Didn't say you couldn't (since I don't know, though my impression is that the packaging here avoids such claims).

I said that fully synthetic oil wasn't the same thing as highly refined mineral oil.

Because it isn't.

Which is in any case largely irrelevant to my original question.

Of course it is not the same, I am just clarifying when you said "in the United States." It is pretty much everywhere except Germany.
Still, you have a lot of HC oils that are better then some GrIV or GrV.

This "full synthetic"
wink.gif
10W-40 that is cheaper than the cheapest mineral oil & you're wondering if it's any good? Sure it could be the bargain of the century but it's most likely rubbish.

What I was getting at was in regards to you comment about synthetic oil getting cheaper as crude becomes more expensive. Most "full synthetic" oils are made from crude re:HydroCracked. Even PAO needs some HC to blend the additives with. So no prices wont come down

Re "Sure it could be the bargain of the century but it's most likely rubbish.
", that'd be the way to bet.

BUT I've never heard of it.
You've never heard of it.
AFAIK no ones ever heard of it outside Taiwan.

This is likely to make it pretty hard to sell, even if it was synthesised from angels tears and conferred immortality on all engines so anointed.

So their options are BIG ADVERTISING, give up, or loss-leading. Could be they are trying 2 +/or 3, but there's really no way to tell short of getting some and testing it with UOA. I could try that in a semi-disposable scooter (low volume required, no filtration) but I've already got too much oil so I doubt I'll bother.

Re the conventional wisdom of "You get what you pay for." as a generalisation, research shows that, in fact, you don't.

Last edited:
Anyone heard of this brand?

They currently have 10/40 "full synthetic" motor oil for 96 NTD (3.19 USD) a litre on offer at RT-Mart here in Taiwan. That's comparable to, in fact slightly less than, the retail price of the cheapest mineral oil, so while I don't think synthetics are generally worth their price-premium (to me), in this case there isn't one.

I suppose one might expect synthetic oil to become relatively cheaper, as crude gets more expensive.

OTOH, I hadn't heard of the brand. According to the GF, the Chinese blurb on the bottle says its made in Italy and packaged in Taiwan.

Websearch on "HRS Oil" turns up a few refs to a hot recycled shale process, probably unconnected.

I'm not afraid of using group 3 synthetic oils personally but I'm wary of using oils from a company that has no website. I did a quick search and found nothing as well so I'd leave it alone until you can confirm it's oil blended by a reputable oil company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back