Makeshift air intake housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The air will only heat up the filter when you are sitting still. When driving you wont have any issue.

if you are gonna leave that setup as is, at least upgrade to a filter that has some real filtering capabilities like the amsoil/injen EA filters. I also added the drycharger which goes over filter for additional filtration. You could go back to stock, replace filter with a amsoil filter and remove all the resonator piping AFTER the filter box which would give you more throttle response. I have always gone this method or with underhood vehicle specific intakes (always INJEN). Tried cold air once, lost torque,mpg, and the race. Granted you see more HP with cold air intakes but it makes engine work harder to breathe and makes its power at the higher rpm which takes too long to wait for. Replace it to stock and forget it happened.

K&N = lower efficiency than ANY paper based filter = more dirt in engine = more wear metals. K&N has no place on stock fuel injected passenger cars.

Your extra airflow through your filter is still restricted by the same heads, same cam, same exhaust, same intake plumbing, same engine tune, so its not providing any extra power unless you're modifying other parts.

Don't get me wrong it filters OK, but we are here for the best right? I would rather have a K&N than running filter less but filter technology has changed and cotton gauze needs to be retired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

Cone filters under the hood on a stock MAF housing/intake tube are a recipe for loss of performance. In some cases, dramatically. UNLESS you add a very well constructed heat shield that completely isolates the filter area and a source of cool outside air can be drawn into the area where the filter/heat shield is.

Many foreign nameplates, especially KIA/Hundai, have factory airbox systems that have the intake scoop mounted right on the radiator support area which gives it more or less a ram air affect from air going through the gill directly into the intake system.

Last edited:
I thought the whole thing with K&N filters is that they filter and hold more dirt than normal filters, and still slightly increase ease of air flow....? Or is all of their advertising a lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back