Amsoil compressor oil. Bad fail! (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 Years ago, I bought 2 quart of Amsoil compressor oil sae 30/40 for our job air compressor.
We use to change the oil once a year. Today I was looking to change oil in this compressor but I had a very bad surprise. Take a look a those pictures!

Btw, oil is stored in a room with controlled temps (about 72F).
As You can all see, I guess this is add pack that We can see on the bottom of the bottle.
Did I need to mention, this bottle is factory sealed, never been open.
I tried to shake the bottle but it seem to be like a 'solid sludge' and doesn't move at all.
Then I let the bottle sit head down for few hour to see what would happen to see if this 'sludge' could dislodge but it only leave a little trail of 'sludge' in the cap. (You can see that trail that it leaved on the 3rd picture)
Also, the oil color is way more amber then what it was before, was like more light yellow but now it looked like more brownish.

I'm thinking about writing a email to Amsoil and send them those picture.
What should I ask to them?
Should I ask for refund?
Should I use this anyway?

Subscribed. I would write them and send the pictures before you do anything. I bet they tell you the oil is fine, and has slight additive fall out.

Interesting. I have a few bottles of this stuff that is older than yours, and also have some in my compressor. At least none of what is in the bottles has had any such fallout.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
This is why I shake my oil often.
I know it's a good thing to do so. But after all, 3 year on a shelf isn't that long. I mean I had motor oil that have sit much more longer in my garage at home, exposed to hot summer and very cold winter and I never had any kind of deposit in bottom of any bottle and I never had to shake bottle.

This is supposed to be top notch boutique oil. I mean it's expensive and used to be one of best oil available on market.

It's a top of the line compressor oil, its probably got extra additives that normal cheap store stuff doesn't. Shake it up, let it settle for awhile and dump it in.

I'd call/email/write them
I'm most intrigued
confused.gif

*darts eyes* ................Where's Pablo?

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Shake it up a little ...put it in compressor and get on with more important things in life ....geeeezzzzz...

Welcome to BITOG,where people worry about everything!
crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

Where did you buy it? It's possible it was sitting for a bit before it sat another 3 years at your place. Just exchange or use it, no need to be overly dramatic, all oil has some additives settle out after 3-4 years.

I use that stuff in every compressor I own. Just about every bottle has some additive settling out. Shake it up a few times and use it.

Mine have done this also sick of it over the years can take a 1/2 hour to shake in snot thick on bottom wonder what it looks like in crankcase. This year drained and filled with Royal Purple Synfilm Recip 100 ordered from Jegs with free shipping.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Just being honest but I see no reason to be worried about this. I would use it with no worries personally.

Can I ask how long should you have to shake in black/grey paste from bottom of bottle is their a SOP on this. I do worry when I need to pour this in my 2k dollar compressor.

When I saw a post named "Amsoil Compressor Oil. Bad Fail!" I was expecting to see pictures of fragged and/or fused compressor parts.

If this had been in an opaque bottle, as 99% of oils are, you would have never known. I'd give it a good shake and use the oil with no worries.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
When I saw a post named "Amsoil Compressor Oil. Bad Fail!" I was expecting to see pictures of fragged and/or fused compressor parts.

If this had been in an opaque bottle, as 99% of oils are, you would have never known. I'd give it a good shake and use the oil with no worries.

I will ask again how long do you need to shake in snot from bottom of bottle it has taken me up to 30min is this SOP for this product and what is it doing in the bottom of my crankcase.

Originally Posted By: dave123

I will ask again how long do you need to shake in snot from bottom of bottle it has taken me up to 30min is this SOP for this product and what is it doing in the bottom of my crankcase.

If you use the product fresh within the first 2-3 years there is no need to shake the bottle. If you have run your compressor once every couple years there is nothing to worry about, because there is nothing settling "in the bottom of your crankcase"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back