Tailgate problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2010 Equinox. About four months ago the tailgate started squeaking. I heard it could be the little rubber bumpers on the bottom of the inside of the tailgate, so I bought new ones and replaced those. Squeaking went away for a few weeks, then came back. I turned the bumpers out (to give more pressure on the gate, and it was OK for a few days. Then in and out and in and out, there is nothing that seems to work for more than a day or two.

But the squeaking isn't my main problem. Now the latch will become loose occasionally. Two times in the last week when the vehicle has been parked all day and I've started it to go home from work, I'll get the "hatch open" light on the dash. It wasn't "fully" unhinged so I don't think it would open up had I started driving, but still it shouldn't just randomly become unlatched on its own. Also on occasion the hatch won't even open. There is a touchpad you press to open the tailgate and there are times it won't even open when you press on the touchpad.

Any ideas? I don't know if it is just the latch (which I think is the source of the squeaking) itself, or maybe something electronic considering the unlatching and not opening issues?

Really getting tired of this vehicle, but want to get another year out of it before trading it in if I can.

Thanks for any advice.

To open:

Crawl in the back,pull the trim away from the top.Follow the rod going down to the latch from the handle.The rod connects to a gold colored lever.Use a mirror if you need,but you will see a ring type lever under the gold colored lever.Move the ring type lever and your hatch will open.

Thanks. I'm thinking about replacing the latch and seeing what happens. Should be able to replace myself I think. It is $83 for the part from gmpartsdirect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back