Toyota 0W20 Synth oil VS Mobil 1 for 2014 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have 2014 Prius and just did first oil change at 7500 mi (manual recommends 10k) and sent oil in for analysis to Blackstone. Live in Wisconsin (can get to 20 - 30 below zero in winter) and drive almost exclusively highway miles - 30K a year. Would like input on using the Toyota 0W20 synthetic verses the Mobil one. Can get the Mobile one for $2.50 a quart less - but am interested in maximizing the engine life. Plan to keep car and would like run it to 250K - 300K miles. Thanks[/font][/font]

For $2.50 a qt less I'd go with the Mobil 1. Your engine will last just as long and you'll save money on the oil.

I'd let the Toyota dealer use TGMO 0W-20 for the free 24K servicing and also change the oil and filter 1/2 way in-between with something like Mobil 1 0W-20 and a Toyota OEM oil filter.

A LOF change every 5,000 miles while the engine is breaking in is prudent and will pay dividends in the long-run.

I think it's a toss up between M1 and TGMO for the 7500 interval. According to my dealer, they use M1.

Now, M1 EP would be a step-up and I would use it for entire 10,000 OCI with full confidence.

I've used both in my 2013 Prius and I can't say there's any difference. Both are great choices IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I think it's a toss up between M1 and TGMO for the 7500 interval. According to my dealer, they use M1.

Now, M1 EP would be a step-up and I would use it for entire 10,000 OCI with full confidence.

M-1 EP sounds like a winner to me....and a Fram ULTRA filter as well. Should be able to do 10,000 to 12,500 OCI with that combination.

Originally Posted By: Softail
Have 2014 Prius and just did first oil change at 7500 mi (manual recommends 10k) and sent oil in for analysis to Blackstone. Live in Wisconsin (can get to 20 - 30 below zero in winter) and drive almost exclusively highway miles - 30K a year. Would like input on using the Toyota 0W20 synthetic verses the Mobil one. Can get the Mobile one for $2.50 a quart less - but am interested in maximizing the engine life. Plan to keep car and would like run it to 250K - 300K miles. Thanks[/font][/font]

TGMO 0W-20 SN has arguably a stronger/thicker oil film than Mobil 1 0W-20 thanks to possible Group V alkylated naphthalene in base oil; so, engine wear should be considerably less with TGMO 0W-20 SN than with Mobil 1 0W-20 if this (Group V AN in base oil) is really the case. Also, TGMO 0W-20 SN additive pack is more tailored toward Toyota and other Japanese engines overall.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
TGMO 0W-20 SN additive pack is more tailored toward Toyota and other Japanese engines overall.

What does this mean?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
TGMO 0W-20 SN additive pack is more tailored toward Toyota and other Japanese engines overall.

What does this mean?

Most everything he said is wrong. IMO. Does anyone think XM(they make the TCMO) will make an oil for someone else that's better than their flagship oil M1? TCMO is just differant, not better.

Last edited:
TGMO 0W-20 SN has arguably a stronger/thicker oil film than Mobil 1 0W-20 thanks to possible Group V alkylated naphthalene in base oil; so, engine wear should be considerably less with TGMO 0W-20 SN than with Mobil 1 0W-20 if this (Group V AN in base oil) is really the case.

How are we going to quantify "considerably less" in this case? Simple statistical significance in a controlled laboratory setting? How many extra miles will it contribute to engine longevity?

All I can say from my experience is that the performance of TGMO 0W-20 SN in my engine has been nothing but stellar, much better than conventional 5W-20. I haven't tried the M1 but the SN version of M1 seems OK, despite the SM version of M1 having shown some dismal UOAs. M1, being mostly a group III oil, is no different in composition than most other full synthetics on the shelf, except some true flagships such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which is GTL-based. It's no surprise that M1 is sold at a very low bargain price of $25 per 5 qt.

Regarding the additive pack, TGMO 0W-20 SN, directed by Toyota engineers, contains twice the trinuclear moly found in M1. This results in better fuel economy and less engine wear than M1, with the fuel economy and engine durability always having been the top goals of Toyota. M1 is more like a generic synthetic, containing the minimal amount of moly.

All I can say from my experience is that the performance of TGMO 0W-20 SN in my engine has been nothing but stellar, much better than conventional 5W-20. I haven't tried the M1 but the SN version of M1 seems OK, despite the SM version of M1 having shown some dismal UOAs. M1, being mostly a group III oil, is no different in composition than most other full synthetics on the shelf, except some true flagships such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which is GTL-based. It's no surprise that M1 is sold at a very low bargain price of $25 per 5 qt.

Regarding the additive pack, TGMO 0W-20 SN, directed by Toyota engineers, contains twice the trinuclear moly found in M1. This results in better fuel economy and less engine wear than M1, with the fuel economy and engine durability always having been the top goals of Toyota. M1 is more like a generic synthetic, containing the minimal amount of moly.

There seems to be a lot of opinion and assumptions in here that being portrayed as fact. M1 has shown to be a great oil that is robust enough for extended drains. How do you know TGMO shows less wear than M1 or any other 0w20? Can you link to a test with actual teardowns not just UOA's?

We do not know the exact base oils used in M1 or any other brand, so saying that an oil is Group X and inferior is just misinformation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brent_G

There seems to be a lot of opinion and assumptions in here that being portrayed as fact. M1 has shown to be a great oil that is robust enough for extended drains. How do you know TGMO shows less wear than M1 or any other 0w20? Can you link to a test with actual teardowns not just UOA's?

We do not know the exact base oils used in M1 or any other brand, so saying that an oil is Group X and inferior is just misinformation.

You have to LOL about these claims of less wear without tear downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back