under valve cover pics 163,000 elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
5yt89w.jpg

Car has had oil changes at 3500 intervals it's whole life. With whatever her hyundai dealer uses. I think they may use quaker state.....it's not to bad but I would have expected cleaner knowing the cars history

Can tell synthetic wasn't used that's for sure.

I can put up a post of my last evo 9 that had 64k on it but spent most of those miles on a track at high rpm which would probably simulate how many miles you have and you could eat off the bits it was so clean.

Maybe run some synthetic in there for a while to clean it up.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Either 3500 miles is a lie or that's the worst oil on the face of the Earth. That's a disturbing picture.

LMAO!!!!!
grin.gif

Yeah, that's a lot of varnish, particularly at that OCI!!!

Varnish is no big deal. It is sludge free, the cams look good with no scuffing or scoring. I'd say it looks good, and there is no reason for concern.

Originally Posted By: salv
Varnish is no big deal. It is sludge free, the cams look good with no scuffing or scoring. I'd say it looks good, and there is no reason for concern.

Yeah, we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. Varnish is the precursor to sludge. This amount of varnish is indicative of the oil not doing its job and letting deposits form/fall out of suspension. Not a desirable trait, even if at this point no harm has been done. I can only imagine what the ring-pack area looks like
crazy2.gif

Yea it's not horrible but yea at that oci it's a little ridiculous. She is very diligent and the cover was replaced because it had actually cracked and was leaking.

I agree that it's not horrible and that a little varnish doesn't matter but I would be disappointed with those results if I changed my oil every 3500 miles. Is it possible that the dealer charged her but didn't do every oil change?...it looks more like an engine that saw 7K OCI's on dino...

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Here is my Evo 9 Pic RL 5w30 changed every 3k miles of dd and track duty.
[img:left][/img]

Good lord,that`s immaculate!!
11.gif

I'm doubting your veracity on that. That head looks like it's been scrubbed clean with carb cleaner. Or hot tanked. It doesn't even look wet with oil.

I would think a thin layer of varnish is a good thing. It's like seasoning a cast iron pan. Provides corrosion protection and cushioning between moving parts.

If I were you I would start using synthetic at short OCI's. Even if the varnish isn't hurting anything, its not desirable. But I am not you, so if the varnish doesn't bother you just continue doing what you are doing, chances are the engine wont care, I just like clean engine.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I'm doubting your veracity on that. That head looks like it's been scrubbed clean with carb cleaner. Or hot tanked. It doesn't even look wet with oil.

I would think a thin layer of varnish is a good thing. It's like seasoning a cast iron pan. Provides corrosion protection and cushioning between moving parts.

I will actually take that as a compliment. No that head has never been touched. I took the valve cover off to install new cams.

RL 5w30 did the scrubbing not I.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back