K&N Air Filter on a WheelHorse 310-8 Pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing what the air filter looked like on my Toro Recycler mower after just one season, I wouldn't want to use a K&N on any small engine. Small engines see conditions that have far more dust than any car will see, and the performance gains on an engine like that will be little to none.

Originally Posted By: JDW
Considering the outside the inside looks great.

I thought so too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think you need a pre filter.

Why?

The K&N seems to be doing just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
A pre filter would catch the big stuff and make it easier to clean.

Got your point.

I'm cool with it the way it is tho.

Also cleaning the K&N reduces its efficiency, so the longer you can go without cleaning it the better. A little foam prefilter can just be thrown out periodically in between intervals.

Also cleaning the K&N reduces its efficiency, so the longer you can go without cleaning it the better. A little foam prefilter can just be thrown out periodically in between intervals.

I totally get it, But the whole reason for getting the K&N was to not have to throw anything in to the landfill.

You can easily clean and reuse a foam pre-filter many times.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

But the whole reason for getting the K&N was to not have to throw anything in to the landfill.

If you keep using that K&N in your tractor..that may end up in the scrapyard. Use the required filter.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

But the whole reason for getting the K&N was to not have to throw anything in to the landfill.

If you keep using that K&N in your tractor..that may end up in the scrapyard. Use the required filter.

I doubt very much my 1984 WheelHorse will end up in a scrapyard anytime soon because of an airfilter.

I am using the required filter. The K&N version of it.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

I doubt very much my 1984 WheelHorse will end up in a scrapyard anytime soon because of an airfilter.

I am using the required filter. The K&N version of it.

He is alluding to the extra silicon that will get into the engine due to the K&N oil cotton gauzes poor efficiency.

He is alluding to the extra silicon that will get into the engine due to the K&N oil cotton gauzes poor efficiency.

Ok.

I'll let you all know when the Kohler Magnum 10 dies because of the K&N Air filter.

Obviously its not going to kill it fast, its just going to create extra metal. Notice any sparkles in the oil drain?

Here's the Thing Brother 901Memphis.

No smoke on startup. No smoke under load. No disturbing noises. Oil is black on drain and certainly no metal particles visible.

All he is eluding to is that fact that K&N Filters let more dirt by than paper filters due to their low resistance design.

The filter looks pretty darn dirty, definitely time for a cleaning. And a pre-cleaner would definitely be on there if that was my engine.

The whole K&N thing is overblown. I did UOA on an 05 Dodge Ram 4.7 with a K&N, and it had LOWER than average silicon in the sample. Not saying they are perfect by any means, but this O GOD THEY WILL KILL YOUR ENGINE! is ridiculous. Many people have many hundreds of thousands of miles on engines with K&N's on them. I liken this to the whole OCOD madness that seized BITOG for years.....save the drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back