Mobil 1 oil filter good for 15000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx#Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs1

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters or more frequent oil filter changes are not required.

Mobil 1 Oil Filters provide outstanding performance during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Oil Filters are designed to offer excellent efficiency (remove more engine oil impurities) and high capacity (60 percent greater capacity than conventional oil filters) which make them ideal candidates for longer oil change intervals.

Although the new BMW's go 15000 miles on oil and filter I'm not comfortable with going 15000 with oil let alone oil filter.
I posted in another thread how tiny the filter is in our '05 Corolla.
I would probably go a year on the oil which is about 12000 miles for us but don't trust a filter for that long.
Still have alot of Mobil 1 left before I try the new Mobil 1 extended life.
So I'll continue with changing the oil and filter every six months.

[ March 02, 2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Colt ]

Shame you couldn't put this in this thread..

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002224

Where the discussion is about the new Mobil 1 extended life filter.

But to answer your questioon:

Do you seriously think Mobil or Champion Laboratories ( who make the Mobil 1 filter) would put something out into the market that does not do as advertised?

They've got about 2 million miles of testing so far on various designs.

I think they've got a handle on whether or not the filter will last 15,000 miles ( and more)..
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
Shame you couldn't put this in this thread..

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002224

Where the discussion is about the new Mobil 1 extended life filter.

But to answer your questioon:

Do you seriously think Mobil or Champion Laboratories ( who make the Mobil 1 filter) would put something out into the market that does not do as advertised?

They've got about 2 million miles of testing so far on various designs.

I think they've got a handle on whether or not the filter will last 15,000 miles ( and more)..
wink.gif

Easy Filter guy.
wink.gif

I missed the thread.
I apologize PeaveyFender.

I guess what I'm saying is will the filter be less efficient after say 10K miles.
I have an Omni undersink water filter.
The filter is no cheapie.It's $33.
Ideal change is 600 gallons or 4 months.
Filters out I believe 400 microns at that level.
Still filters if left in 6 months but not as well.
Maybe the oil filter would be the same.
There's many products out there that don't do what they advertise.

[ March 02, 2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

No problem..
grin.gif

Actually, as the oil filter plugs with contaminant..it becomes more efficient not less. So it does a better job of removing the small particles of contaminant.

So, to answer your question, at 10,000 miles on an oil filter it will be doing a better job than at 3,000 miles.

What consumers don't know is "how" much life is left for their own filter. Because as the filter gets to the last 25% or so of life, it plugs much quicker..because it's more efficient.

As for your Omni water filter..if it filters at 400 microns, i'd get a different brand.

40 microns is the limit of visibility as 20/20 vision.

400 microns would be rather large particles allowed through the water filter. You'd see them in the bottom of the glass. Copper, iron, lead, etc..

I think you've got a filter that is less than 5 microns..they probably rate it as 1-5 microns. if not, you might want to find one...
wink.gif

FWIW, when I change the oil in my VW 1.8T in a couple more weeks, I will cut open the M1-205 filter that is currently on my car. I'll definitely post the pics!
smile.gif

It will only have 5k miles worth of M1 0w40 run through it, so I suspect it will be in very good shape.

GC will be going in the engine this next oil change, along with a fresh M1-205 filter. I'm going to run it for 10k, then get a UOA to see if I can go even longer. I'll cut open that M1 filter, too. Only time will tell.
smile.gif

quote:

As for your Omni water filter..if it filters at 400 microns, i'd get a different brand.

40 microns is the limit of visibility as 20/20 vision.

400 microns would be rather large particles allowed through the water filter. You'd see them in the bottom of the glass. Copper, iron, lead, etc..

I think you've got a filter that is less than 5 microns..they probably rate it as 1-5 microns. if not, you might want to find one...
wink.gif

**** ,I don't remember the micron number.
grin.gif

Just that the filering is less efficent after 600 gallons.

wavinwayne
Looking forward to the pics.

Actually your water filter is just as, if not slightly more, efficient after 600 gallons. The difference is that the flow of water is by-passing the element and not going through it. That's why you think the efficiency is less.

Of course you could change the filter before you hit 600 gallons..
wink.gif

quote:

Actually your water filter is just as, if not slightly more, efficient after 600 gallons. The difference is that the flow of water is by-passing the element and not going through it. That's why you think the efficiency is less.

Of course you could change the filter before you hit 600 gallons..
wink.gif

I did some research on my water filter.
grin.gif

It takes out fine sediment particles down to 0.5 microns.

OMNIFilter cartridges are labeled with an average life (e.g., 6 months for carbon filters). However, if your water flow starts to reduce, or taste and odor problems return, you should replace your cartridge. Carbon filters must be changed at least once every 6 months.

Taste and odor along with less flow.
That means the filter is clogged with junk.

Other than taste and odor
smile.gif
wouldn't a clogged oil filter have less flow or be bypassed completely?
I'm just not comfortable with leaving an oil filter on an engine for 15000 miles.
wink.gif

offtopic.gif
Our city water sucks! Most people have water softers on city water. We just have a charcoal filter, it lasts 1 month before flow drops. In my next house I'm putting back to back string/charcoal filters.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back