If silicates are not listed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
does it positively not contain any? I know I'm overthinking this, but SuperTech (as an example) does not specifically say silicate-free, but its daddy right next to it, Prestone, states on the bottle silicate-free; both have the exact same formula.

Who knew buying anti-freeze would be so complicated?

Yes it's a dex cool clone it doesn't need silicates it has other additives. Prestone all makes all models as well as almost all universal coolants are dex clones.

I prefer Zerex G05 which is low silicate. It's what I use in my Buick since I don't have a pressurized overflow tank.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
does it positively not contain any? I know I'm overthinking this, but SuperTech (as an example) does not specifically say silicate-free, but its daddy right next to it, Prestone, states on the bottle silicate-free; both have the exact same formula.

You need the manufacturer's data sheet to confirm whether or not it contains silicates.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
The MSDS? They don't list silicates there, either.

MSDS are not always indicative of or authoritative for all ingredients/components in a formula, or not in a formula. As noted above a data sheet would be much more informative and reliable. Sometimes hard to find those though on private label brands like WM Super Tech, who would have their AM/M AF made for them by an outside manufacturer.

That said, seeing as it's labeled All Makes/Models universal I'd feel safe in saying it's very similar to or same as other AM/M Extended life AF's like Prestone and Peak Long Life. So, in the absence of a data sheet, imo safe to assume WM ST AM/M is a no silicate formula like the others. I'd be very surprised if it was otherwise.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
MSDS are not always indicative of or authoritative for all ingredients/components in a formula, or not in a formula.

Correct. If the ingredient is not toxic and/or hazardous, there is no requirement for it to be listed on the MSDS.
Normally, Silicated and phosphated salts are not very toxic. Particularly the corrosion inhibitor versions used in vehicle cooling systems. Else, possible damage to cooling components and liability issues.

So what if it has some silicates? Why is everyone so afraid of them? Pretty much every antifreeze available today that has silicates, comes with a low silicate formula, so silicate dropout is pretty much out of the question unless extremely long change intervals are used. G-05 can go for five years, for example.

Because silicates raise [censored] with the water pump seal. Maybe that's old school thinking, who knows, but that's why I'm afeared of them.
whistle.gif

If you are using a quality coolant, without exceeding the manufacturer recommended service life, you should not have any problems. If used as specified and under normal conditions the chances of silicates becoming gel dropout, a solid layer in the metal, or an abrasive as suspended solids are extremely slim. The same holds true for the phosphates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back