Recommendation for a good "bang for the buck" tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to replace the tires on my project Malibu- currently General Ultimax (AltiMax?) in 215/60/15s. They are really noisy going down the road.

I've been eying the Firestone FR 710 as they seemed to work out really well on my wife's Grand Am in all conditions and ride/handle well enough too.

What are your thoughts on the 710's or other tires? The tires will be for year round use in all road conditions- including unplowed roads (within the bounds of reason) at 4:00 in the morning.

On our work fleet we put the 710s on all the cars. They work pretty well for is, wet and snow traction are pretty good. They are reasonably priced as well. We get around 50,000 out of them but have got as much as 70,000.

Oddly, the best bang-for-the-buck I've found has been in the most expensive tires I've tried. Never had that experience with any other product.

In 215/60/15, I'd look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4.

Kumho might be worth a look too, The ones on our 08 Liberty have been great.

Check out the reviews /consumer ratingson Tire Rack and Discount tire, I have found them to be, by and large, Spot on.

Then weigh that against price and any discounts offered.

I ended up with Hankook 727's that way, so far I have been quite pleased.

After years of the same pursuit, I've taught myself that a good Michelin tire meets all my needs.

My pick would be the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. Great tire at a very reasonable price.

There is also a $60 rebate on a set of four.

Originally Posted By: expat
Check out the reviews /consumer ratingson Tire Rack and Discount tire, I have found them to be, by and large, Spot on.

Then weigh that against price and any discounts offered.

I ended up with Hankook 727's that way, so far I have been quite pleased.

Interesting. I took your advice and ended up finding this on the Firestone Precision Touring. This pretty much sums up my goals and potential driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: Tire Rack reviewer
After researching the best tire for our buck I convinced my wife to get 4 of these for her 07 Corolla fwd before the first snow here in VA. Now after 5-6 inches of snow and heavy wet slush her car is a beast with these tires. I expected much more difficulty driving in deep snow and it was almost not even fun. There great in the rain and even my wife could feel the difference in dry conditions compared to the old Goodyear integrity.We only have a 1000 miles on them and I can't speak for wear but I'm very impressed with these tires and will get them again.

It seems that Firestone is putting out some good all season rubber, as like I said earlier, the FR710s are doing great on the Grand Am.

My vote:

Yokohama Avid Touring S (65K warranty.) Currently $77.on Tire Rack. Should have little difficulty getting someone to price match locally. Probably my favorite cheap tire. I have had 4 sets and have never gotten less than 70K out of them and hit 80K on one set.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Oddly, the best bang-for-the-buck I've found has been in the most expensive tires I've tried. Never had that experience with any other product.

In 215/60/15, I'd look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4.

Same here...Michelins on the wife's Wrangler have 140k on them and are still going strong. The OEM Goodyears lasted 39k.

If you plan to keep the vehicle a few years you can't go wrong with Michelin; but if your budget is short and you need tires now, for inexpensive I've had good luck with Coopers in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
What is the general consensus on the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring? I've been seeing these tires an awful lot around here.

Tiger Paw Touring

I used to have Tiger Paws (not sure if they are the same sub-model as the one you're referencing) on an 88 Bronco II and they were terrible. Wet traction was very limited and they wore out pretty quick. Recently I had a set of Pirelli P4 and they had fantastic traction in all conditions and wore well for the two years I had them (sold the car).

What is the general consensus on the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring? I've been seeing these tires an awful lot around here.

Tiger Paw Touring

Uniroyal is Cheap Chinese garbage

If you can afford Michelin, get the Primacy MXV4. If you can't, go for the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

Unfortunately, Michelin's new Premier doesn't seem to be available in your size.

Uniroyals came on our Impala. After 21,000 miles the two that are on the back currently are about shot. The two on the front will go another ten k and they will be shot. They were new when we bought it. They are garbage.

which firestone precision touring where they? isnt there 2 versions?

Id go for the altimax RT43, its as different from the altimax hp as you can get .. and a great value.

I am looking to replace the tires on my project Malibu- currently General Ultimax (AltiMax?) in 215/60/15s. They are really noisy going down the road.

That's incredible, because having the exact same tire (different car), they are by far the most quite tire I've ever bought. However, they are not know for long wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back