Additive to clean combustion chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any additive that would effectively clean the valves, piston tops etc?

I have leaky valve seals and from what I understand this causes lots of carbon where it leaked?

The big bottle of Gumout all in one. Gumout and Techron are among the only two fuel additives over the counter that contain PEA. Amsoil fuel cleaner and Redline aren't two good boutique products.

The only bottle additive that has been proven to effectively remove carbon deposits from those things is PEA. Which can be found in
Techron Complete Concentrate, Redline LS-1 and Gumout Regane.

We might not have that much of an idea of what you might have available down there. There's a lot of name-dropping of products available in the United States, many of which you probably aren't going to find unless brought in by some specialty importer.

However, I did find some product that sounds equivalent to Techron Concentrate Plus available in the US. It's "Techron 5000" from Caltex. For those who don't know, Caltex is a name used by a Chevron/Texaco joint project (Chevron was once Standard Oil of California and Texaco was once the Texas Company), and the name existed well before Chrvron and Texaco merged.

b5qiky.jpg

Slowly trickle water through the PCV hose while holding the engine at about 2000 RPM. Use about 1 gal/4L. This will clean the chambers more than any additive.

See if you can get some GM or Chrysler top engine cleaner. Run some through a vacuum line then pull the plugs and soak the cylinders.
Hard carbon is a real bugger. North* engines proved the ineffectiveness of most products time and time again.

Seafoam is IMHO a total waste of money, it does nothing for hard carbon, it creates a pale oil smoke show thats all. I think many buy it just for that reason.
Ditto water and fuel system cleaners, they may knock the fluff off but not the hard carbon, no smoke show though.

The GM and Chrysler stuff contains an acid and is somewhat effective but still not 100% on stuff you need a chisel to get off.
Water injection over an extended period looks promising, engines that have leaking head gasket(s) show very clean cylinders and valves in cylinders where the coolant leaked.

Listen to Trav. That GM TEC is great. I have the old stuff, that's the good one, you can't buy it anymore. I use that on project cars or cars I flip.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
I have the Subaru upper engine cleaner, will this do?

Yes, it will do. But from the Forester forum, many Subaru owners like and use Seafoam. And, several Forester forum regulars note that if you use premium gas (referring to a high compression turbo model), you should not have to clean your engine at all.

Never used it but i see the mechanic from the local Subaru dealer down at the Chrysler dealership buying top engine cleaner (true).
lol.gif

BG44 is a decent PEA injector cleaner but no better than the others on hard carbon.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Never used it but i see the mechanic from the local Subaru dealer down at the Chrysler dealership buying top engine cleaner (true).
lol.gif

BG44 is a decent PEA injector cleaner but no better than the others on hard carbon.

You probably are right about BG44K.

Odd. Subaru makes/markets their own product for this purpose.

I know they do but i figure if the service manager is singing the praises of the GM or Chrysler stuff and i see a Subaru mechanic down there buying it they know more then me about it.

Don't get me wrong i am not knocking the product i never used it and cant say one way or the other.
If i had access to a N* with bad case of carbon knock i could tell you tomorrow AM.

I know they do but i figure if the service manager is singing the praises of the GM or Chrysler stuff and i see a Subaru mechanic down there buying it they know more then me about it. Don't get me wrong i am not knocking the product i never used it and cant say one way or the other. If i had access to a N* with bad case of carbon knock i could tell you tomorrow AM.

Whatever Subaru is selling is probably made in the US - really just packaged for Subaru. It's probably the same stuff as GM or Chrysler is using. A lot of Subaru service parts are made in the US so why not a chemical?

But, I use premium gas and don't plan to be using any UC cleaner anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back